Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Turkey Meatballs with Pasta and Sauce

I subscribe to a great magazine called Cuisine at Home. It always has a ton of useful tips and great recipes. I found this recipe for meatballs and decided to give it a try!


I cut this in half.


I decided to use ground turkey. You can get these frozen logs pretty cheap and they are not bad at all. I am very frugal when I shop, so anything I can get cheap works for me.


Get your ingredients together. Plain bread crumbs.


Parmesan cheese.


milk. I never have milk around, I can't stand to drink it.


You can use chicken broth, veggie broth or whatever. I figured I was saving fat and calories by using ground turkey so I could use some beef broth for added flavor.


eggs


If you need to cut an egg in half to reduce a recipe whisk it first, then add just what you need.


add your herbs and seasonings.




whole nutmeg is the way to go


grate it fresh with your microplane, have you bought one of these yet?


I always have this on hand, its very versatile.


Everybody in the bowl!


mix it up!


add your ground meat and combine. I recommend an ice cream scoop if you have one. It will make the task of forming the meatballs so much easier!




once you have them all formed pour the beef broth in the bottom of the pan and get this in the oven.

While its in the oven you can work on your sauce


canned tomatoes


shallot and garlic


chop it up


get it cooking up and get some water boiling for your pasta


I used the last of my garlic pasta


once the shallot and garlic are cooked add in your tomatoes and whatever herbs you like. I like basil and oregano.

while that simmers boil up your pasta and get your meatballs out of the oven.


marvel at the cheese oozing orbs.


Serve it all up together!


The meatballs were moist and full of flavor even though I used turkey instead of beef.

7 comments:

  1. This looks incredible! It's such a pity your boyfriend's not a foodie- i would be more than happy to help you finish that though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious! My son would love that!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will add this to my book of your recipes. I will have to use beef as cooking ground turkey makes me ill. Don't know why, it just does.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am DYING to try this one. DYING! I love me some meatballs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What do you do with the half an egg that's left over? Around my house, it gets cooked up and given to the dog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks really lovely - as everyone said, such shame you had to enjoy it alone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. these looked too good NOT to try. i finally gave it a go tonight, and they turned out really well! a little salty though, and i am pretty fond of my sodium -- next time i will cut the salt amount in half and probably add more garlic/red pepper. :)

    ReplyDelete