Saturday, March 22, 2008

Cucumber Raita with Pita Toasts

This recipe comes from The Asian Cookbook. If you have folks coming over for easter tomorrow, this would be a great appetizer to set out. It is tasty and light.
















I used Greek style yogurt, but any plain yogurt will do.




You need a grater, a clean towel and some cucumber




Once the cucumber is grated it starts leaking out water




Putting the salt on the cucumber also helps draw out the moisture. Once you have it salted squeeze the excess water out. This will have a nice cucumber flavor so add it to some tomato juice or into your bloody mary, if you're into that!




All wrung out...




Get your yogurt measured




and into the bowl



I love cumin




sugar




Mix it all up!




drop in the cucumber




give it a stir and get it in the fridge for a few hours, you can even make this the night before.

When you are ready to serve, preheat your oven to 400 degrees for the pitas and add in your herbs. I just don't like cilantro and there was no way the SO would even try this if it had mint in it, so I used parsley.







break off some leaves




and give it a chop. I have a mezzaluna made by Nigella Lawson that I love to use for greens and herbs. It is a fast way to chop with no danger of losing a finger, and its just fun!









Stir in your parsley and let it hang out




I keep my pitas in the freezer as they tend to go bad quickly. I pull them out and then toast them in the oven. Keep an eye on them, they will toast up quickly, just a minute or so on each side.




Get the Raita in a serving bowl and sprinkle on some chili powder. I also added some hot paprika, because I love it.




Serve with some toasted pita chips for a tasty and easy appetizer!

4 comments:

  1. That looks so good. I love cucumber but my husband doesn't care for it. I'll bet with all the other flavors working though that you really don't taste the cucumber so much.
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have have have to give this a try; I love tzatziki sauce like whoa. Though I will probably hold off on the chili powder and paprika... but yes, I must try a variation on this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will have to try that too. Tzatziki is like my favorite thing ever and this looks like it could come a close second. Oh and the 12 year old will not let me make the tomato soup. She does it all herself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm. That would be a very different taste for me. I'll have to try it soon!

    thanks-
    Patience

    ReplyDelete