Thursday, March 29, 2012

Favorite Things #14 - Real Maple Syrup

My husband, Tom, has an aunt who lives in eastern Ohio. One of her husband's relatives owns a maple syrup farm called Bissell Maple Farm. One day out of nowhere a big package arrived for me at work and it was filled with amazing products from their farm!

Bissell Maple Farm products
The little bag on the left is candied pecans, those are pretty much gone already. I have tried everything but the BBQ sauce and it is all amazing. Even Tom, the picky eater who has only ever ate the cheapy store syrup loves it. The actual maple syrup is so rich and has such a unique complexity, it almost tastes like it has chocolate in it!

86/365
I made some simple broiled chicken thighs and brushed the maple mustard on in the last couple of minutes. It was one of the best and easiest chicken dinners I have ever had.

What is your favorite recipe using real maple syrup?

15 comments:

  1. Yes, maple syrup is the best! I like to use it in candy corn with lots of toasted nuts and seeds and a little cayenne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Candied pecans? Yum! I had problems switching from the calorie free syrup to real maple syrup, just for calorie reasons, but there really is nothing like it! I love the maple flavor! The maple mustard sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks wonderful, and so simple!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This "favorite things" is a very cool feature!! What a cool gift basket to receive--I'd have never thought to make any of these things with maple syrup! I love the sound of maple mustard, mmm. My favorite recipe with it is a marinade for salmon with equal parts syrup and soy sauce, and some garlic. You wouldn't believe how good it is! Here's the way I do it: http://veronicascornucopia.com/2010/03/01/worlds-greatest-salmon-improved/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maple syrup is real popular here. I can honestly say I've never had it either. I don't care for most sweet things, very, very few exceptions...lol! The mustard though, I'd definately try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Real maple syrup is definitely one of my favorite things also! Once you have the real stuff, you just can't go back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your chicken looks delicious. What a delightful surprise the arrival of all those goodies must have been. I have a coffecake that is made withmaple syrup. That certainly counts as one of my favorite maple creations. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. real maple syrup is amazing, i love it when it drips off my pancakes and onto my bacon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't had real maple syrup since being diagnosed with diabetes almost 12 years ago - I use Smucker's sugar free pancake syrup - but there is nothing like the real thing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love maple syrup and always get the real thing. No imitation for me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love real maple syrup. I actually had some pancakes this morning (Saturday ritual) with some real maple syrop drizzled all over it. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just came across your blog and I am really enjoying it!

    I love real maple syrup. It really is so much more complex than that maple-flavored crap in the store!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful idea to use maple syrup with chicken. Sounds like a delicious combo! Blessings for a beautiful weekend my dear, your friend, Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Okay... my favorite is NOT original at all because I was going to say it's pancake.... I actually have no recipe using maple syrup! Though I only use real one because fake one is not the same at all... your chicken looks yum!

    ReplyDelete