Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Chicken Chili Beans

I think I have said it about 30 times on this blog but I love chicken thighs. I really am not a fan of chicken breast because it just doesn't have enough flavor for me. Thighs are cheaper too, what's not to love? Well, besides that extra fat. This is a pretty low fat recipe so its ok to use the thighs, I promise.

This recipe contains two big NO ingredients for the husband, beans and chicken. But in good news he has decided he now likes cole slaw and raviolis. I am making a little bit of progress over here.

recipe

recipe
Looks simple enough right? I cut it in half because this recipe serves 4. Let's get cooking.

ingredients
You will need flour, chili powder, tomato paste, red or green pepper, whatever beans you like, tomatoes, garlic, chicken, chicken broth and onion. I bet you have most of this at your house right now!

chopped
Chop up the garlic, onion and pepper. I used my garlic press for my garlic. I was always a little hesitant about buying a press, but now I love mine.

flour and spice
Mix the spices into the flour.

coated
Coat the chicken in the seasoned flour and shake off any excess.

chicken in
Heat the oil in the pan and get the chicken in there. Brown it for about 5 minutes, turning to get them browned all over.

fry for 3-4 minutes
Once they are browned get them out of there! I also removed most of the oil because I barely need any in my ceramic coated pan.

get the chicken out of there
Let the chicken hang out on some paper towels. I could have fried it a bit longer I think, but it tasted pretty darn good.

garlic, pepper, onion in
Get your veggies in and cook those for about 3 minutes.

bring to a boil
Add in the chicken broth, tomatoes, beans and tomato paste. Bring this tasty mixture to a boil.

put the chicken back in
Get the chicken back in and reduce the heat. Pop the lid on and let it cook for about 30 minutes.

lid on simmer 20-30 min
I love this picture because you can see that I am in a normal kitchen, and my normal kitchen is not always perfectly clean.

Chicken Chili Beans
After 30 minutes you are ready to eat! This was tasty and very filling, I was looking forward to the leftovers too.

Chicken Chili Beans leftovers made into soup
The next day I chopped up the remaining chicken, added some more broth and turned it into a delicious soup. I think I liked this even better than the way I had it the previous day.

I hope you are all having a great week! Tom (the picky husband) and I have been watching the Star Trek movies on Netflix and enjoying some Spring Training baseball on TV. What are you guys up to this week?

10 comments:

  1. This looks really, really yummy! I also like chicken thighs but, use breasts more because my grocery store only carries thighs occasionally...weird, I know. That's what I get for living in the country ;) Question, what kind of beans did you use? As for me, I'm happily enjoying what seems to be a taste of spring weather...almost 70 today...yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used northern beans, I am not a huge fan of kidney beans. Enjoy your spring, we are starting to get HOT here in AZ.

      Delete
  2. My roommate's boyfriend almost exclusively eats ravioli....so I feel your pain! this dish sounds delicious though! More for you? :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pretty excited about the ravioli thing because it was a gateway to things like pierogies and pot stickers :)

      Delete
  3. Can you say comfort in a bowl? Wow. I could use some of this right now!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to savor this stuff before it gets super hot here :)

      Delete
  4. This is too funny because I just picked up some chicken thighs from the store! Good work on your husband -- I love ravioli!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get thighs any time they are on sale. He is slowly coming around to pasta, now I only have about 300 more things to work on ;)

      Delete
  5. Hooray for having husband approved cole slaw and ravioli! Too funny. :D

    Looks delicious, except for the onions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made a great pork roast yesterday on a bed of onions in the crock pot, I thought of you :)

      Delete