Sunday, August 11, 2013

Chicken and Artichoke Packet

After eating a cheeseburger on a donut bun I needed to get back to smarter eating. Not that I regret that sandwich for one second but the scale definitely reminded me that what happens in San Francisco does not stay in San Francisco. So I busted out one of my old favorites, a Weight Watchers cookbook I picked up at Goodwill.

IMG_2179
This is another foil pack recipe, which I love because there is nothing to clean up after. I cut this recipe down to one serving. Preheat your oven or toaster oven to 350 degrees and lets get started.

IMG_2178
The ingredients are, beans, carrots, chicken, seasoning, artichoke and Italian dressing. The best thing about recipes like this is you can just take the basic idea and use whatever you want. I don't like fennel so I just used cabbage instead. I also had some white beans already in the fridge so I just used those. The only prep you need to do is to chop your veggies.

IMG_2180
Literally all you have to do is lay down the chicken and pile the rest of the ingredients on top. The hardest part of this recipe is folding the packet.

IMG_2182
Folded up tight and ready to cook. Put it in the oven for about 25-30 minutes. The best thing is there is nothing to clean up so you can use that half hour to read a book or sit outside and enjoy the summer weather because it will be gone too soon!

IMG_2183
Cut a few holes in the foil when it is done to let some of the steam escape. Once the packet has cooled a bit get your chicken out and you are ready to eat.

IMG_2187
This was so packed with flavor and only took a few minutes to prep. Eating smarter doesn't have to be expensive or difficult, and it doesn't have to be boring and bland. I will be going back to this cookbook more often for the rest of the Summer.

Have a great week!



13 comments:

  1. This is a great weeknight meal. Simple and flavorful. You can't go wrong... Really a cheeseburger on a donut bun-wow.

    Welcome home.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks healthy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could not agree more. Eating healthy doesn't have to be boring at all - it used to make me nuts when I'd work with people who were "dieting" and they'd eat a can of plain tuna with some wheat thins. Just ew.

    Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have to love the foil packets. I love a no clean-up meal. This sounds great and the fact that it is healthy is a bonus! I used to work with this one lady who would seriously eat one cracker and one M & M for lunch. She weighed about 80 pounds soaking wet. And she thought that was healthy...ugh!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, I made a Luther burger at home one time but didn't like it! I probably did something wrong. We weren't huge fans but I count that as a blessing b/c at least we'll never be tempted to put that in our bloodstream again. Ha! Now your chicken and artichoke foil packet is another story-I'd eat that in a second!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Umm I'm feeling the same way right now! Two weddings in one weekend will do that to you I guess! Ready to get back to healthy eats and exercise. These chicken parcels sound awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how you cook with these packets. I have a friend that does it and the food always taste so delicious cooked like this. This looks delicious and sound so healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely and delicious packet to cook with :D

    Glad to be back!
    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Rhonda, This really looks easy, healthy and tasty. It is nice not to have a clean up. Blessings dear. Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the way food tastes in packets. This looks great,

    ReplyDelete
  11. This has my name written all over it! I make something similar with beans on the top, and a nice piece of halibut on top.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks really delicious. We are going to give it a try this weekend. Thanks for sharing the great post. Have a wonderful upcoming weekend.
    World of Animals

    ReplyDelete