Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Weight Watchers Chicken With Broccoli and Oranges

I have definitely been on an Asian food kick since having the delicious peanut chicken dish in San Fran. I was craving something a little sweet and savory and found this recipe in an old Weight Watchers cookbook. This took no time to make and definitely cured my craving.

IMG_2166

ingredients
I cut this recipe pretty much in half. You need stock, corn starch, OJ, broccoli, oranges, tamari or soy sauce, ginger and chicken. I used canned mandarin oranges instead of fresh.

slurry
Mix your cornstarch and water. This is called a slurry!

sauce
Measure the stock, soy sauce, and OJ. I did not have fresh ginger so I just put the dried ginger in with the sauce.

broccoli
Chop your broccoli, I did this the night before.

chicken
Chop your chicken.

IMG_2167
Lets cook! Get the oil heated in a pan. Again, I skipped using fresh ginger so I went straight to cooking the chicken. Cut this small it only takes a few minutes to cook.

IMG_2169
Once cooked, get the chicken out of there.

IMG_2168
Drop in the broccoli with some water and pop the lid on for about 3 minutes.

IMG_2170
Return the chicken to the pan with the sauce mixture and give it a stir. Bring it up to boiling.

IMG_2171
Stir in the slurry and let it thicken. Can you believe that it is this easy? Well, it is.

IMG_2173
Stir in the oranges and you are ready to eat.

Chicken With Broccoli and Oranges
Delicious, fast and easy. That is a trifecta in my opinion.

What is your favorite Asian dish and have you ever made it at home?




16 comments:

  1. That does sound easy and delicious. I would go with the canned mandarin oranges too. I'm not sure what my favorite Asian dish would be, I have a few that I like to make. One is an asian inspired soup :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm on the same Asian kick as you, I can't seem to get enough! This looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for posting this, Rhonda! I'm excited to try it, especially since I'm on the WW points program right now. It looks scrumptious! I am a big fan of beef and broccoli as well, but I haven't made any Asian dishes WW, so this will be a first. Thankfully I have a great Chinese place by my work that is so awesome about cooking things in a healthier way. Greatest part is I can see right into the kitchen and I know they aren't cheating! Can't wait to make this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one looks good. I love all of the ingredients, really good color.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you might have set me off on an asian food kick! This sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this sounds fantastic! I admire you cooking for yourself so much, I think it's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll have to tell my daughter about the mandarin oranges in stir fry - at the age of 12 she started a list on the back of her bedroom door - on it? A list of items - the first one? Canned mandarin oranges.

    When I asked her what that was she said "things I'll have in my future apartment." Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Rhonda, I love so many Asian dishes thats a tuffy!!
    I do like to cook Asian at home. It is so much better and so much cheaper!!
    I love the old cookbooks. Weight Watchers had some good recipes years ago.
    Well, this was a good meal and I bet very tasty.
    Blessings dearest. Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't cook Asian routinely, but I go in spurts where everything I want is Asian. My favorite Asian dish is (unauthentic) Gen Tso's Chicken. I found a recipe a couple of years ago on The Bitten Word that had originally appeared in Food & Wine (I think).

    I judge all Gen Tso's by the first time I had it in a hole-in-the-wall place near my work. It remains the best I've ever had. This one was close and only needed one additional ingredient to make it nearly perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You hit on the trifecta for sure! It looks delicious and I want to try it. Great WW recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well i m used to cook asian food on dialy basis for my family ;) as i m from asia.
    Best curry in Manchester

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing this wonderful dish. It looks and sounds really delicious. Something great to make for a nice dinner. Have a fantastic day.
    World of Animals

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tattbooking is a website that provides online booking services for tattoo and piercing appointments. The website also provides Piercing studio booking online. Users can view the portfolio of the artists and select the artist they want to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Today, tattoos are seen as a form of self-expression and have become more widely accepted in society. They are no longer limited to a specific subculture or group of people, and the industry has grown to encompass a diverse range of styles, artists, and techniques in tattoo shop Las Vegas

    ReplyDelete