Sunday, April 1, 2012

Buffalo Chicken Chili

I saw this recipe on Blog is the New Black and I knew I had to make it. I love anything buffalo style and I love chili, what a perfect combo! Tom will not eat chicken or beans, so I knew that I was going to be eating this myself, so I cut the recipe in half.

Buffalo Chicken Chili

Serves 8-10

Prep Time: 15 minutes, Cook time: 1 hour

Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes

Adapted from Allrecipes

Ingredients

1 tbsp EVOO
1 large white onion, diced
6 cloves of garlic, minced
16 oz carrots, diced
2 lbs. ground chicken breast
1/2 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp ground paprika
1/2 C chicken broth
1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
1 (16 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained
1/2 cup Frank’s Red Hot Wings buffalo wing sauce
salt and pepper to taste
bleu cheese, for serving (optional)
Directions

Heat the EVOO in a large pot over medium low heat. Add the onions and garlic. Stir until translucent and fragrant. Add the carrots and cook until soft.
To vegetable mixture, add tomatoes and beans. Mix well.
In another pan, sauté ground chicken, adding cumin, paprika, and chicken broth until meat is cooked through and spices are well mixed. Do not drain.
Add chicken to vegetable mixture, stirring well to combine.
Stir in the buffalo sauce and bring to a boil. reduce heat and simmer simmer over medium-low heat about 1 hour.
Serve with bleu cheese, if using.

ingredients
You will need carrots, garlic, cumin, chicken stock, ground chicken or turkey, paprika, beans, buffalo wing sauce, onion, and crushed tomato. You will also need some blue cheese if you want some to put on the top later.

garlic
Mince your garlic.

onions in pyrex
Chop your onion, mine is in a cute little Pyrex dish.

carrots
Chop up your carrots.

everything is ready to go in
Assemble everything near the stove so you are ready to just add and go. I measured out the stock and got the measuring cup ready for the wing sauce as well. The wine glass is not part of the recipe but my husband has taken over my cupboards with his beer glass collection and my giant wine glass is currently homeless.

So lets start cooking!

onion and garlic
Get the onions and garlic in and cook over medium low until the onions have softened.

chicken
Meanwhile in another pan start browning the ground chicken. Add in the cumin, paprika, and chicken broth after the meat has begun to brown.

carrots in
Get the carrots in with the onion and garlic and cook these to your desired softness. I left mine a little crunchy to add some texture.

blue cooking
Lots of pretty blue on my stove!

sauce and beans in
Once the carrots have softened add in the tomatoes and beans and give it a stir.

chicken in
Add in the meat and get that mixed in as well.

simmer for an hour
Stir in the buffalo sauce and just take a big sniff because it smells awesome! Reduce the heat and let it simmer for about an hour.

Buffalo Chicken Chili
Add your blue cheese and you are ready to dig in. I absolutely LOVED this chili. I ate it for three days and did not get sick of it at all. I know there are a lot of chili purists out there that would shake their head at this but I don't care, I will be making this again for sure.

28 comments:

  1. Wow,
    I love your step by step pictures!A really innovative and delicious chili, it blows that conventional chili right out of the backdoor!

    http://www.giddygastronome.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, we all need a change every once in a while :)

      Delete
  2. I love buffalo sauce! This sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bookmarked this from Blog is the New Black too because I also love anything buffalo flavored! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like a great buffalo chili...yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love buffalo style anything, so this just called my name :)

      Delete
  5. Buffalo chicken chili is on my menu this week too - as chili mac. Here is my version - I am a bit skeeved about ground chicken in the store, so I grind my own chicken breasts.

    http://mybizzykitchen.com/2010/02/06/best-buffalo-chicken-chili/

    I have also had a dozen people use that recipe in chili cook-offs and its won first place 5 times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the link, I have emailed it to myself so I remember to check it out when I am menu planning :)

      I get all my chicken from one of the fancier food stores near me, I am sure I am just paranoid but I prefer to not be sick :)

      Delete
  6. Blue cheese is such a great idea for chili! I think it'd be a welcome change of pace in my house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will like it, I thought it added a great kick to it.

      Delete
  7. I haven't made chili in forever and I'm dying to try yours. The blue cheese is a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Believe it or not, I have never made buffalo chili and you've made me very curious. This was a terrific post.I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've just became a huge buffalo fan so I'm sure I will love this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful combination - I am definitely not a chili purist - I love all the fun, unique versions. This sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so different than my chili recipe, but what the heck, it looks delicious. I'm always up for something new. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks really delicious & hearty!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds like such a wonderful recipe and it looks mouthwatering!! I would love to try this soon! Have a blessed Easter week my dear, your friend, Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Is it still chilly in your neck of the woods? I usually only make chili and soups in cooler weather, and in KS, that time has officially passed. I went straight from using the heater to using the air conditioner! Yuck! Your chili, however, does look good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE all things buffalo so I'm deifnitely going to have to try to veg this up! Maybe double the beans? Sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE all things buffalo so I'm deifnitely going to have to try to veg this up! Maybe double the beans? Sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I forgot I was going to comment on your header when I saw it--glad I left this window open--it reminded me when I came home! I thought it was neat how we have similar backgrounds for our headers. Did you use a wallpaper pattern for yours too? I found an image online for "cornucopia wallpaper" then edited it to make it orange (I think it was gray). Wallpaper makes a perfect background, right? Go figure! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did just use a piece of wallpaper off google images.I had planned to change it seasonally, but planning and doing are two different things. :)

      Delete
  18. This looks so inviting and delicious! Give me a bowl of chilli , anytime. Love the step by step method shown. I love the blue pot too!

    ReplyDelete