Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Low Fat Chicken Corn Soup

The allergy season here in AZ has started and it is a bad one for me. I have been feeling really drained and not that into cooking. This soup was simple, and definitely the comforting kind of thing I need when I am not feeling well. My husband seems to think I just need some habanero salsa to clean everything out. I beg to differ and will stick with the soup.

recipe from low fat cookbook

recipe from low fat cookbook
Looks simple enough, lets get cooking!

ingredients
You will need some tomatoes (canned or fresh), cumin or coriander, tomato paste, oregano, butter, shallot or onion, chicken, flour, corn, broth and peppers.

chopped shallot
Chop up your shallot. I am using a cute red Kuhn knife my MIL got me.

peppers chopped
Chop up your peppers, I had lots of leftover pepper in the fridge.

chicken seasoned
Season your chicken, I am actually using thighs, because I love them.

butter and oil
Heat the butter and oil in a pan...I didn't use as much butter as the recipe called for.

soften the onion
Cook the shallot until it starts to soften up.

brown the chicken
Get the chicken in the pan and cook it until it is brown on both sides.

stir in the flour for 1-2 min
Stir in the flour and cook for another 2 minutes.

broth in, boil for 5 minutes
Stir in the stock and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 5 minutes.

everything in
Stir in the rest of the ingredients (I added some paprika for color too), my pot is full!!

lid on
Put the lid on and simmer for about 20 minutes.

chop the chicken
Take out the chicken and chop it up.

Chicken Corn Soup
Get it back in, give it a stir and check for seasoning. Add a little salt and pepper if you need it and you are ready to eat!

Chicken Corn Soup
I garnished with a little parsley and dug in. This was so good, and was actually even better the next day after hanging out in the fridge overnight.

I hope the rest of you don't have as bad of an allergy season as I am having!

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks those Kuhn knives are pretty good for how cheap they are!

      Delete
  2. Yay, I finally figured out how to comment on here! Lol! First, I must say that your husband sounds exactly like mine. I dine alone, almost always girl! He's extremely picky. So glad there is someone out there that has the same situation...lol! (Just so I don't feel alone...;)). Second, your soup looks and sounds so good. It's not allergy season here yet...but, surely coming around the bend. And I love soup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice to know there are others out there :)

      Delete
  3. I used to make chicken corn chowder all the time before I went vegetarian- now I just make regular old corn chowder. This looks super yummy and amazingly easy to adapt for those of us with...restricted diets!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for checking it out, I will take a look at your blog too, I really don't eat all that much meat.

      Delete
  4. Sorry Rhonda - I have to side with the hubs on this one and suggest the habanero salsa!

    Hope you are feeling better - soup is comfort food at its best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did get some really tasty New Mexican green chile salsa and it is HOT! :)

      Delete
  5. Wow...this looks really delicious! I love to use chicken thighs when the recipe calls for a long cook...breasts tend to dry out too much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely find soup to be ideal when I'm under the weather and this sounds super comforting. I generally do throw a little spice into the mix though...for sinus clearing purposes :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. eeek, i'm feeling my allergies coming on too, and it's not looking great. im gonna make this soup this week, it looks good. your new layout is nice too!

    ReplyDelete