Sunday, October 21, 2012

Pork and Poblano Stew

I told you about my quest for weight loss and how I am cutting those evil but so delicious carbs and dairy. Some people asked what I am eating instead. Well, I have been eating a lot of stir fries and lots of beans, cruciferous veggies, eggs, and lean protein. When I saw this recipe in Better Homes and Gardens I was thrilled that it pretty much fit into my new eating habits.

recipe from Better Homes and Gardens
I made the full recipe because I can freeze some and have a quick dinner when I don't feel like cooking.

Somehow I managed to forget to take an ingredients photo...but you can just take a look at what you need in the recipe. Poblano chiles are often labeled Pasilla peppers and they are very mild. If you really want to kick this up use a jalapeno or a serrano.

cut
First you want to chop up your pork.

measured
Measure out your OJ.

chopped
Chop up your onions and peppers. Biz is about to vomit at this point seeing those onions I am sure.

hot pork
Season the pork with chili powder. It is easiest to just get your hand in the bowl to make sure the meat gets coated.

zesty
Look everyone it is my Microplane that was featured in my last favorites post. I used it to zest the orange that is still sitting on my cutting board. I don't really like fruit...maybe I will just juice it.

in the pan
Get your pork into a pan with some olive oil and let it brown for about 5 minutes.

pork!
Yum, gotta love pork tenderloin but now it needs to get the heck out of there.

veggies in
It is the veggies turn in the pan. Cook those for about 5 minutes as well.

broth tomatoes and cinnamon in
Add in the tomatoes, broth, and the cinnamon stick.

lid on it
Cover it up and walk away for 10 minutes. You can use that time to clean up the kitchen or just play around on instagram and text some friends. I won't say which one I did but if you follow the user 'wiliger' on instagram you may be able to figure it out.

Pork and Poblano Stew
So after 10 minutes take off the lid, add the pork and orange zest in and let that hang out for about 5 minutes. Then go fishing for the cinnamon stick, it will hide from you, I promise.

Pork and Poblano Stew
Look at that delicious and filling stew on my nice fall themed table, too bad it is 90 degrees here. But I still loved this stew and will definitely make it again. The stew tastes totally different than it smells, I loved all the complexity of flavor and texture.

I hope you all have an awesome week.

7 comments:

  1. What a delicious looking stew my friend, so full of flavour :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a comforting and delicious looking stew!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love pork in stew - my store routinely sells pork stew meat for .99 cents a pound.

    You might like my version!

    http://mybizzykitchen.com/2011/10/25/sometimes-i-am-cheap-and-pork-thai-stew/

    ReplyDelete
  4. that looks like it smelled amazing! perfect fall afternoon dish. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds so different but so good. I had to laugh at the comment about Biz and the onions...lol! I must try this soon, I could use something different on the palate :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been toying reducing carbs and your stew makes me think it could be doable. :) Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm always surprised at how many healthy recipes magazines are offering up--I don't really notice them until I'm watching what I eat and then it's a pleasant surprise. This looks like a real winner! I did notice your microplane, it's kind of like your blog super star right now-lol. And I kinda love that you don't like fruit b/c while I'm OK with it, I much prefer veggies to fruit and I thought I was a freak. You're the first person I've met that doesn't like fruit, which reduces my freakiness. ;)

    ReplyDelete