Sunday, October 14, 2012

Beef and Mushroom Ragu with Mafaldine

This recipe came from the magazine called Real Simple, and it really is simple! I am still trying to cut out the carbs and dairy, but of course I have to splurge a little now and then. I am down 9.5 lbs and I am not looking back, just continuing to work out and eat better. I ended up having some pizza this week too as we had a going away lunch for a friend who got a new job. I was bummed, so nothing like some carbs and cheese to ease the pain right?

So lets get cooking already, here is the recipe...

recipe

I looked EVERYWHERE for Pappardelle pasta. I even went to an Italian deli/market and they didn't have any. I finally saw that Trader Joes sells it, so off I went...to find a bare shelf. The stuff must be popular.

ingredients
So I settled for a pasta called Mafaldine, which means little queens. You also need some tomatoes (I grabbed a can of delicious San Marzanos at the Italian market), tomato paste, ground beef, garlic, white wine, onion, and mushrooms. Get some water boiling and lets get prepping.

mushrooms
The mushrooms were sliced but I gave them a rough chop.

onion
Chop up the onion

gaaaaarlic
Chop your garlic

ready to cook
Get everything near the stove so you have all your ingredients on hand and you are not scrambling.

delicious
Get the mushrooms, onions and garlic in a skillet with some olive oil and let them cook for about 7 minutes. Drop in your pasta at this point also.

there is the beef!
Once the onions are soft add in the beef and break it up with your spoon. Cook until it is no longer pink.

tomato paste in
It is getting hot and steamy around here! Add in the tomato paste and let it cook for a minute while you stir. I see a lot of recipes call for cooking the tomato paste on its own for a minute, does anyone know why? I googled and saw something about reducing the acidity but I could not find much.

wine in
Add in the wine and let this incorporate for about a minute.

tomatoes in
Add in the tomatoes and let this cook for another 4-5 minutes and you are ready to eat. You might be looking at this pan and saying wow that is a lot of sauce for one person...but here is the shocker, Tom requested this! He looked over as I was looking at the magazine and saw the picture and was like, I want that!

Beef and Mushroom Ragu with Mafaldine
Can you see why he was excited about this recipe? It was super tasty and filling and now I have some extra sauce to put in the freezer for when he wants this again. If you want to lighten it up a bit you can use ground chicken or turkey. For now I am back to ignoring my pasta drawer and focusing on my waist line.

Have a great week!!

9 comments:

  1. This sounds easy and delicious. I am so glad that Tom requested some. He is starting to realize that he is missing out on some really delicious meals.
    I also love the way you described the cooking process step by step.
    I am glad that you are successful with the watching of your weight. I bet you feel good and accomplished. It is good to treat yourself from time to time though. I am sorry that your friend is leaving. I hope she is happy.
    Have a good evening and many blessings my dearest. Catherine xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds delightful! I love anything with San Marzano tomatoes, they make such a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been trying to cut out the dairy and gluten because I'm allergic but it is SOOOO hard!! I'll have to check in with what recipes you post because in my mind, every thing I want to eat or make involves a lot of dairy and carbs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that is my kind of pasta... it looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heading to star this one -

    It makes me want to dig out an old recipe I made growing up with some of the same ingredients -

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you on your weight loss! I can't believe Tom requested this...woo hoo!! Lol! Looks good Rhonda :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. While I don't like mushrooms per se, I have ground them up in my food processor and have added them to gravy - it gives it a more meaty flavor I think. I am still looking away from the onions. :D

    Hooray for a Tom approved dish - winning!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an incredible flavour combo my friend, this looks perfect :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you! I'm trying to do the same! I like the magazine and this dish sounds great! Keep up the good work with your weight loss, my friend!

    ReplyDelete