Monday, July 28, 2008

Spinach and Potato Salad with Citrus Cumin Dressing

This is called a salad, but it is eaten warm. I really liked the flavor of the citrus and cumin vinaigrette on this. I adore cumin, it is one of my favorite spices. I put it in my guacamole, my salsas and all of my rubs.








I cut this recipe in half.




I didn't have fingerling potatoes, so I used red potatoes.




I also did not grill my potatoes, I roasted them in the toaster oven for about a half an hour. The first thing you want to do is cut them into bite sized wedges.




Season them up with some salt and pepper and coat them in olive oil.




Put them on the grill or a roasting pan and lets get our other ingredients.




Put your spinach in a bowl with a tight fitting lid that is big enough to hold all the potatoes.




Apricot preserves, white wine vinegar, tomatoes, lime and ginger.




Don't forget these guys, your cayenne and your fabulous cumin seed.




Put the cumin seeds in a dry, hot pan. Keep them moving in the pan until they toast up, you will see them begin to darken and more importantly you will smell them.




Get those into a bowl where you will assemble your dressing.




Grate in your ginger.




Add in the other dressing ingredients and whisk them together. Don't forget to add a touch of salt and pepper also.




When your potatoes are done, put them on top of your spinach and get the lid on tight so the potatoes steam the spinach.




Add in the tomatoes and the dressing and give it a toss to coat.








This is hearty yet it is low fat and delicious.

Thank you to all the readers who answered the bok choy question, you guys are the best.

5 comments:

  1. Hmmm we love a warm salad. Your dressing sounds delish.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a beautiful salad. i love the dressing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The salad looks great - and I never thought about cumin in guacamole...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks pretty good! I really should try to start using dressings! ;)

    Ane

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was inspired by your dish. Go see mine!! ;)

    ReplyDelete