Wednesday, July 9, 2008

BBQ Beef Short Ribs with Veggies in the Crock Pot

I think I have talked about my love for the Crock Pot before, but I will continue to sing its praises today. I love potatoes and carrots from a crock pot, and I love potatoes with BBQ sauce, so this recipe was perfect for me.

Ingredients:

* 4 to 6 medium potatoes, peeled and cut in 2-inch chunks
* 1 cup baby carrots
* 1 large onion, cut into 8 to 12 wedges
* 3 1/2 pounds beef short ribs or beef chuck pot roast cut in chunks
* 1 cup ketchup
* 1/4 cup water
* 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
* 1 tablespoon paprika, regular or smoked paprika
* 1 teaspoon chili powder
* 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
* dash garlic powder
* 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
* 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
* ---
* 1 tablespoon cornstarch
* 1/4 cup water

Preparation:
Put the potatoes and carrots in a large slow cooker; top with the onion wedges then the beef. Combine the ketchup, 1/4 cup water, vinegar, paprika, chili powder, mustard, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, and salt. Pour over the beef. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours, or HIGH for 4 to 5 hours.

Transfer the juices to a saucepan and simmer for 5 minutes. Combine the cornstarch with 1/4 cup water, stirring until the mixture is smooth. Pour into the simmering juices and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 1 minutes. Serve the beef and vegetables with the thickened sauce.
Serves 4 to 6.




Gather up your ingredients and a cutting board. The carrots were late to the photo session and didn't get included.




You need some potatoes, whichever kind you like best!




I like red potatoes. Chop them up into wedges.




Here are the carrots!




Toss them into the crock pot!




Grab some shallots or onion and get them chopped up also.




Into the crock with them as well. Season this first layer with salt and pepper and lets get saucy!




One cup of ketchup.




Red wine vinegar.




chili powder, paprika (smoked or sweet will do), mustard and garlic




You also need some worcestershire sauce, which I LOVE. I didn't like it so much growing up but now I really have become fond of it.




Get all the sauce ingredients in a bowl




Mix it together. I also added about a tablespoon of Molasses because I like a subtle sweetness in my BBQ sauce.




Finally we need our beef.




Layer that over the veggies and season it with salt and pepper also.




Pour the sauce on the ribs.




Turn on the crock pot on high for 4 hours or low for about 8. If you are lucky enough to be home while this is cooking, you are going to love the smell of your kitchen.

After it is all cooked you want to take out the meat and veggies and pour the sauce into a pan.




Get it heating to a boil.




Add a mixture of corn starch and water to thicken the sauce.




Let it boil and thicken up. When it is thick and bubbly you are ready to plate.




The Beef was tender and great, but the star for me is...

The Veggies!



This is pure comfort food.

5 comments:

  1. I love the crock pot. I make carnitas or pulled pork all the time. Delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will be having this soon. We had the pork with grilled onion, bread crumbs and cheese. They were very good. It was a recipe from quite awhile ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG I can't wait to make this. I'm a HUGE crock pot girl...in fact, I think it's time for a new one! I've had the same crock pot for about 13 years!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this last night for dinner. I didn't get to the corn starch part because I am not awake when the rest of them eat. I used Penzeys Sweet Spanish paprika. The big red haired guy and Peanut's girl really like it. I ate it later heated up and it was still very good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Better late than never for this entry. I did the pre-cooking last night and set everything to cook before I left for work this morning. It's absolutely delicious. Thank you so much for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete