Sunday, January 13, 2008

Pork tenderloin is one of my new favorites!

I want to start by saying I love all of the comments from you guys who make these recipes, especially when they are successful! I have found that I am cooking a LOT more thanks to this blog and the Serves One cookbook. I really recommend you buy it if you cook for yourself. Today's recipe is also from that book. Lets get right into it.

I picked a recipe that involves a grill, which I know is out of the question for some parts of the country this time of year, but you can get a nice grill pan that allows you to grill indoors year round! I recommend a nice heavy cast iron one, which shouldn't be too pricey if you don't get one with a fancy french name.


Ingredients, VERY simple!


Steps


Soundtrack


When I do marinades I don't dirty a bowl I just prop my bag up inside of my measuring cup.


I love this Teriyaki sauce, its made by a company called Soy Vay and you can get it at Trader Joes, if you are lucky enough to live near one.




I used to not buy fresh ginger because I would use a bit and then the rest would go bad. Then I heard you can just freeze it.


So now I always have some fresh ginger around in the freezer.


Fresh ginger is so so good. It smells and tastes delicious. It is very easy to peel, just use a chef's nice or a paring knife.


I love my Microplane grater. This is a tool that I cannot live without. You can zest with it, grate cheese, and it does a wonderful job with ginger and garlic.


I use a little cheese knife to scrape the delicious paste off of the back.


I love pineapple. I might use this to make the Applesauce Nut Bread but with pineapple as suggested by a comment from a reader!


I love cooking with marinades, they give a lot of flavor for just a little bit of work.


I have never bought or cooked a pork tenderloin before. It was on sale so I figured why not give it a try.


I cut it into thirds and wrapped the rest up to put in the freezer. This piece went in the bag and into the fridge to marinate for about 6 hours.


I weighed the individual pieces


and marked them before I tossed them in the freezer. Then I went shopping for a while, watched some football and then finally it was time for dinner!


I am serving the pork with my favorite side dish, wheat egg noodles.


Get the water boiling


Fire up your grill or your grill pan.


Get your meat out and start the marinade boiling. It is important that you boil the marinade as the raw meat was swimming in it.


Grab the meat and head outdoors.


I love my grill and use it often, it is one of the best things I have ever bought.


Get your noodles boiling and check on them so you don't over cook them.


Head back outside to check on your pork and take a look at the sunset.


Its important to let the meat 'rest' before you go slicing into it. This allows the juices to 'set' in the meat. If you cut right into it the juices will go running all over the place.


Slice it up and enjoy!!


The pork was so tender as the name suggests, I will be buying this cut a lot more now!

7 comments:

  1. Pork tenderloin is one of my favs...and I will definitely be trying this. I have a pork tenderloin recipe I make that has rosemary, garlic, salt & pepper that is grilled...I don't usually make it because of too many left overs. I'll have to see if I can adjust the recipe!

    Thanks for keeping this up...you are really inspiring me to get cooking!!!

    michele ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't do ginger. I love it. It hates me. But I could do this recipe and simply substitute garlic for ginger! What the heck!
    Thanks-
    Patience

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always seem to choose delicious-looking recipe and make it look so simple to make :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tip on the ginger. When I bought it for the spicy chicken thighs it was getting green on the edges. I happen to think just about anything can be cooked on the grill. I BBQ'd one Christmas in the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooooooh...that marinade sounds awesome! I grill outside any time of year and any time of day (my neighbors must think I'm nuts). Even though we have a few inches of snow on the deck I think I'll be grilling this pork recipe this week! : )

    Thanks!!!

    Frannie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dang, I'll have to try this sometime; it looks delicious. I've never made pork tenderloin -- nor had it, I think! Must remedy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pork tenderloins rock! I always buy mine at Costco, they are in 2 packs, you get 2 'tubes' so I use one and freeze the other. Tenderloins take marinades so well, and as long as you don't overcook them, they stay amazingly juicy for a very lean meat!

    Next time try marinating it in Walkerswood Jamaican Jerk Marinade. http://www.walkerswood.com/our_products.htm

    It's spicy, though, there is some habenero in there! enjoy!

    ReplyDelete