Monday, September 1, 2008

Beef Chili Stew

For most of my awesome readers the weather is going to start cooling off. We will still be suffering through 2 more months of 100+ degree weather here, but soon it will be beautiful again. Even though it is hot, I get cravings for chili all of the time. This one will be great for this time of year if you have some fresh corn (my sister has tons) and beans to use. I don't but don't let that stop YOU!




This is another recipe from Cooking Thin with Chef Kathleen, lets get started.




I am using regular onion and not shallots for this one.




Dice it up.




You will need some tomatoes and chili powder. Use those fresh garden tomatoes if you have them. (you can see the veggies in the background that I chopped for the hubby's taco dinner and his hot sauce, he wouldn't even try this chili!)




Some stew beef is needed also. If you want to do this vegetarian some fake steak strips or veggie crumbles will work. Season the meat with some salt and pepper.




Get some olive oil heating in a nice heavy pot.




Toss in the meat and get it browning.




At this point I almost broke my neck as the smell of browning beef means 2 terriers drooling at my feet creating one slippery floor. I managed to catch myself before I fell on the dogs.




I regained composure and added in the chili powder and the onion and let it cook for about 10 minutes.




Right about now it should be smelling really good in your kitchen.




Add in the tomatoes.




Give it a stir and simmer for 30 minutes. (If you were using fresh veggies you would want to add those in prior to the 30 minute simmer, but since I am using Frozen...)




They will go in toward the end.








Stir them in and add some more salt and pepper...




And let it hang out until the veggies are heated through.








This is a fun change to your regular old beans and beef chili.

12 comments:

  1. I am having this tomorrow. Headed out to the freezer to get the meat to thaw. It is going into my Dining Alone cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mum is positively drooling, so I'm gonna hazard a guess here and say she will be trying this recipe out!
    Thank you.. from Mum.. no doubt she won't be letting me sample any! hurrrumph

    Ben xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks really good. My husband lives on chili. We always have a pot in the fridge. I will have to share your recipe with him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great recipe - I love chili but hate kidney beans so the corn and green beans is a great alternative...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmmmmmm, I need to try this one -- without the corn, of course, since that's verboten on my diet!

    The hubby will love this one, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a perfect time of year for chili...Steeler time!! I'm making some this weekend for the game...

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love chili, regardless the season and the temps. This onelooks luscious and pretty healthy.

    Is that a Le Creuset pot -- we have the very same one -- and the Penzey spices too -- so we're halfway done!!!

    Two dogs on the floor when it starts smelling good? One on either side of human feet? Two faces looking up hopefully? Nah!!!!

    Joan (aka the Barkies)

    ReplyDelete
  8. B would love this. We will definitely have to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We had this with a few minor changes. I used chili beans, tomatoes w/ green chilies and garlic. Pappy says, "that girl is a very good cook."

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am going to try to cook this. Looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am going to try to cook this. Looks so good!

    ReplyDelete