Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Pan Fried Honey Chicken Drumsticks

While technically it is the first few days of fall, our high temperature is still 100 degrees here in AZ. I am making some hearty fall friendly meals, but concentrating on using the stove top instead of the oven. This chicken leg recipe is my favorite mix of sweet and savory, with my third favorite thing, CHEAP! Chicken legs are very affordable and very tasty.
























The first thing you need are your marinade ingredients. Soy Sauce, Honey, Lemon, Sesame Seeds and dried Thyme.




I use a strainer to catch the lemon seeds so they don't end up in my marinade.




put everything in a bag and get it all combined.




The chicken I have is more from the grill pack I got that has a little bit of seasoning on it. The marinade is plenty of flavor, so don't worry about adding anything to your drumsticks.




Say goodbye to your chicken for a couple of hours and go take a walk outside. Take your dogs if you have them because they love fall weather just as much as you do.




Once you are back it is time to prepare the coating for the chicken and get cooking. I am serving this with my usual side dish, egg noodles. So I have some water boiling already as well. The first thing you need is some flour seasoned with salt and pepper.




You need some chicken broth.




Some white wine is needed also. You may notice that I have the same white wine bottle often, here is my trick. I pour the last few swallows of any bottle of white wine I may open into this bottle that I keep in my fridge. Then I always have some white wine on hand for cooking.




Butter.




Peanut oil, my favorite oil for frying.




Your chicken is ready to hop in the pan. Remember to save the marinade!




Add the butter and oil to a fry pan and get it heated up.




Dredge the chicken in the seasoned flour and shake loose any excess.




Drop the chicken in the pan and get it frying away!




It smells delicious and all the little brown bits on the bottom of the pan are going to make for a delicious sauce. Once the chicken is browned reduce the heat and let them cook for about 15 minutes, take it out of the pan and keep it warm in some foil.




Pour in the wine, the broth and the marinade and scrape up all that tasty goodness from the bottom of the pan. Let this reduce down and thicken.




Plate up your noodles or whatever side you chose. Rice or mashed potatoes would also go great with this.




The sauce can be thickened with a little cornstarch mixed in water if it is not shaping up as you'd like it to. Once it is as thick as you would like, you can plate it all up.








The legs have so much flavor and the sauce is sweet but not overly so, the soy sauce really balances it all out. You can use this same recipe for thighs as well, and you know I do love chicken thighs. I hope you are all enjoying the first few days of fall!

5 comments:

  1. mmmmmmm these look very very tasty. I will trie this recipe on chickentighs.
    Thank you for sharing this recipe
    Natasha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm looks good. They're great flavours when combined.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh this dish looks so delicious. I am getting really hungry. I'll definately try this one at home. Thanks for the great photos. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been kind of silently reading your blog for some time now. Every single recipe you have posted has been great! I'm trying this recipe today with chicken thighs :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. it is getting cold at night here in LA... I just love fall... hmmm and chicken

    ReplyDelete