Saturday, September 20, 2008

Braised Chicken Thighs with Dried Apricots

Even though it is still really warm here in AZ I am going to try to put up some nice fall dishes that will warm you up, but not take too much time or effort.




The recipe calls for dried plums but I had apricots on hand, so that is what I used.




You need some white wine, dried fruit of your choice, onion and that is really about it!




I served this chicken over some egg noodles, one of my favorite things.




This chicken is from a pre-seasoned grill pack I broke up and froze. The seasoning was a citrus rub and added some nice flavor to the dish. You can add a little lemon pepper or lemon zest to your chicken if you want to add that extra layer of flavor. Be sure to season your chicken with at least some salt and pepper.




Get the chicken into a dutch oven to brown.




Pour out the wine you need for the recipe. Feel free to pour out the wine you need to reward yourself for making it through the day and have a nice drink.




Flip the chicken and make sure it browns on both sides.




Once it is browned, get it out of the pot and set it aside.




Add the onion to your pan with a little salt and pepper. It is so important to season when you add items to your dishes.




After the onion has softened, stir in the flour. This will make your sauce thicken up.




Keep stirring a minute then add the wine and get your chicken back in there. Cover it up and let it cook for 8-10 more minutes.








Stir in the apricots or other dried fruit and let them get warmed through and then you are ready to plate.




The apricots get plump and delicious and really compliment the chicken. This was filling and tasted like it took a lot more work than it actually did.




The skin was, of course, the best part.

3 comments:

  1. Pappy loves your chicken thigh recipes, so I wil be trying this one. No noodles for him, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The skin is ALWAYS the best part!

    I giggled at the dutch oven bit even as I was secretly thinking "Wow, I could finally use the one I bought almost a year ago!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would swap it with a chicken breast but ohh I love the idea of sweet dried fruit along with the chicken...

    ReplyDelete