Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Sandwiches

After this week I think we all could use a little comfort food. I don't really have much to say about what happened in Boston because it makes no sense to me at all. I will just try to provide some comfort through food instead. I always go to my slow cooker when I want something warm, simple, and delicious. I am sharing this recipe from Taste of Home for BBQ Chicken Sliders.

Taste of Home recipe
I cut this recipe in half.

ingredients
This recipe has you brine the chicken first, which I have never done before. Here is what you need for the brine. Liquid smoke, thyme, water, salt, brown sugar and some garlic.

brine
Mix it all together and stir to dissolve the salt and sugar.

reserved brine
Reserve some brine for later, put a lid on it and get it in the fridge.

brining alone
Pour the brine over the chicken in a resealable bag. Put it in the fridge for about 18-24 hours.

liquid smoke and reserved brine
When you are ready to put everything in the crock pot grab your reserved brine and your liquid smoke and add it with the chicken. Discard the brine the chicken was in. Put the crock pot on low for 3-4 hours.

tender and juicy chicken
Pull your chicken out, it should be falling apart at this point. I tasted the chicken and it was full of flavor even before adding the sauce.

awesome sauce and buns
Grab some buns and your favorite BBQ sauce.

shredded
Shred the chicken and get it back in the crock pot.

saucy
Stir in the sauce and let it heat through, about 20 minutes on high. While it heated I just made a quick side of some peas with salt and olive oil.

Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Sandwich
This is a great and easy comfort food dish that really has a lot of flavor. I will make this one again for sure, hopefully during a less crazy week.

11 comments:

  1. This definitely looks like good old fashioned comfort food! I love that you can make it in the slow cooker and that it comes out so tender.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a tasty looking sandwich!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rhonda, this looks so good and the brine I bet takes it to another level! My daughter-in-law texted me earlier looking for some slow cooker chicken recipes, I am so sending her this link :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a winner and the Taste of Home recipes are always good! My exact sentiments about Boston, and West Texas, Texas. There is terrible flooding here right now in the Chicago area and it's misery to drive, flooded basements,etc. Horrendous! Have a good weekend, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious. I love making chicken in the slow cooker.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nice comfort meal with delicious flavor. Blessings dear. Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could eat 3 of these, easily!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Every time I see good slow cooker recipe, I long for having a slow cooker! This will be a popular dish at my house!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks absolutely delicious, the chicken looks so flavoursome :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think there's any sense to be made of it at this point, but at least we have good food! These sandwiches sound super tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You put it so well Rhonda...what happened makes no sense at all. I'm still trying to process, and it's been so many days!

    ReplyDelete