Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Hungry Girl Buffalo Chicken Portabella Pack

It is starting to get hot here in Arizona, this week we will have temperatures in the mid 90's. When it is hot here I hate turning on my oven so I start using my toaster oven more often. I have recently discovered Hungry Girl's foil pack recipes and they are perfect for making in the toaster oven. Another reason I like the Hungry Girl recipes is that most of them are for one or two servings. Today I am sharing a simple but super tasty foil pack using portabella mushrooms, one of my favorite foods.

Recipe

Ingredients
Preheat your oven or toaster oven and grab your ingredients. You need some mushrooms, hot sauce, parmesan cheese, laughing cow cheese, some onion or shallot and some cooked chicken. You also need aluminum foil that is non stick or regular and some nonstick cooking spray.

Chicken
Chop up your chicken.

chopped
Chop your mushroom stem and the shallot.

cleaned out
The recipe didn't say to do this but I scraped out the gills from the under side of the mushroom cap.

stuffing
Mix together the chicken, laughing cow cheese, shallot and the mushroom stems.

getting stuffed
Put the chicken mixture in the mushroom cap.

ready to wrap
Top with the parmesan cheese.

foil pack
Hungry Girl says to lay another piece of foil on top to make your pack, I just fold down the top.

foil pack
Then I fold up the sides. Easy! Pop it in your pre-heated oven for about a half an hour. The only thing I don't like about this cooking method is you can't really smell your food cooking.

done
When it is done be careful of escaping steam, you can cut it with scissors to open easily and avoid steam burns.

Hungry Girl Buffalo Chicken Portabella Pack
I served this with some salad and it was delicious! The foil packs are a great idea for solo meals and there is hardly anything to clean up afterwards.

Do you cook in foil packs, if so what do you usually make?

12 comments:

  1. I haven't done foil packets in a long time. It is such a great idea since I often dine alone like you. My go-to for foil packets was always fish. So easy and tasty. I'm soooo jealous of your weather, no kidding it was snowing here earlier...boo!!! And it's still in the 30's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never do cook with foil packs... not sure why?! I love the foil pack chicken snack at my favorite Chinese place... I should try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea to put buffalo chicken into mushrooms! I love them both:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have cooked chicken, rice, and veggies in a foil pack before. This reminds me that I need to cook in foil packs more often. This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husbands Mom used to use foil packs for nearly every meal, so he's a bit traumatized by it!

    I am not a fan of mushrooms, but last summer my daughter and I had a grilled marinated portabella mushroom at a farmers market and we both really liked it! I need to try that at home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that nonstick foil! I used to use it to bake breakfast cookies on b/c they slid right off without having to grease it, and for some reason completely forgot about it. Man, this is a great idea. Now I'm coveting your toaster oven. I only have the slotted toaster. It does suck heating up the oven when it's hot outside! Regardless, I think I need to stuff some portabellas soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is definitely so much easier than getting your apartment all hot from the oven! I don't have a toaster OR a toaster oven so now I'm a bit jealous :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love using the foil, nice not to have a lot of cleanup. Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Non-stick foil? This exists?? :) I'm tempted to use a phrase I don't permit at home. "You Americans!!" I'm envious.

    Love these mushies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a healthy and delicious looking stuffed mushroom. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a brilliant idea my friend to stuff a mushroom :D

    Cheers
    CCU

    ReplyDelete
  12. I usually use foil cooking for fish, but never thought of cooking with chicken. I love that you put it on portabella mushroom too! Such a low calorie dish. I should be eating light like this to lose some weight... 90F already! :O Stay cool!

    ReplyDelete