Monday, January 28, 2013

Egg Bake Obsession

I have been recently obsessed with these simple egg bakes that I put together trying to use up some leftover refried beans. This egg bake is a great way to use up random leftovers in your fridge and have a nice warm breakfast or even dinner.

ingredients for Soyrizo Egg Bake
My standard version contains egg, refried beans, garlic powder and Soyrizo. Soyrizo is a meat free substitute for delicious chorizo, which is a spicy sausage. I have also made this with leftover chicken and some spinach. Preheat your oven or toaster oven to 400 degrees and grab an oven safe dish.

layer of vegetarian refried beans
Spray the dish with non-stick cooking spray and add a layer of refried beans to the bottom.

layer of soyrizo
Squeeze the Soyrizo out of its casing and spread it over the beans.

egg on with salt and garlic powder
Carefully break the egg over the top and season with salt and garlic powder. Get this in the oven for 15 minutes and you are ready to eat!

Soyrizo Egg Bake
I know this doesn't look all that great, but the flavors all go together so well. When you break the egg yolk it creates a rich and tasty sauce that covers the whole dish.

Soyrizo Egg Bake
And just a tip, put the burning hot dish inside of another bowl for easier eating!

So have you tried Soyrizo before and if so do you have any other recipes to share with me?

11 comments:

  1. I have never even heard of Soyrizo but, we get things way later than 1/2 the country I swear...lol! I get on egg kicks and this looks like a great dinner to me. I don't do breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely looks like an odd combo, but I'd give it a shot. Maybe with a layer of hash browns instead of refried beans, though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. soyrizo is the only chorizo i buy anymore! the real stuff is just so full of fat!

    i make this guy fieri dish with soyrizo probably once a month. it is SO GOOD: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/guy-fieri/poblano-stuffed-with-chorizo-shrimp-and-rice-recipe/index.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yum, that looks filling but low fat with the use of the soyrizo. Thank you!

      Delete
  4. It looks really good--a perfect blend of flavors! This is a must try since I've been making a lot of eggs lately. I've never heard of Soyrizo and will be looking for it in the store soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo that baked casserole looks delicious and is so protein-rich! I've used soyrizo before to make spanish tortas (a sandwich with layers of refried beans, soyrizo, and avocado). So.GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Often the simple dishes are the best. Sometimes I line the bowl with a tortilla, then add a little salsa when its done. Love this for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bet that meal is super filling! I can't do runny eggs, but it looks amazeballs.

    I have made this recipe, subbing in soy chorizo for the regular chorizo - so good!

    http://www.fortheloveofcooking.net/2009/10/black-bean-and-chorizo-soup.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pinning this one for sure, minus the cilantro of course ;)

      Delete
  8. This looks delicious!
    How much of the soy chorizo do you use? I bought the ingredients to make this last night and can't wait to try :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually snip off about 4-5 inches and then just use my fingers to spread it out. Really depends on the size of the dish and how much you love the soyrizo :)

      Delete