Sunday, March 17, 2013

The Perfect Pickler

I am going to walk through just how easy it is to use the Perfect Pickler for making tasty preserved vegetables.

Perfect Pickler
All you really need is sea salt, water, the veggie of your choice and a jar. I added in some pickling spice and red pepper flakes, but you don't even need those to make the vegetables taste good.

sea salt
They recommend using sea salt, and the pickler comes with this small bag of a Celtic sea salt. Other books I have read also recommend sea salt but the most important thing is to not use table salt.

making the brine
You need one tablespoon of salt for every 2 cups of water. This is all you need for the brine, but you can add other seasoning if you want.

spices in
I put the pickling spice and red pepper in the bottom of my jar.

loaded with asparagus
I then put in as much asparagus as I could fit, if you are doing cauliflower or onion, really pack the veggies down as tight as you can.

brine in
Pour the brine in and leave about an inch or so at the top.

press down to ensure everything is covered
Put the cup in the top and press down and then pour more brine around to fill the jar leaving about 1/4 inch of space at the top. You do not pour brine into the metal cup.

gasket in the lid
Put the rubber gasket in the lid.

Ready for the airlock
Put the lid on until it is just tight, don't over tighten.

airlock filled
Fill the airlock with water just to the max fill lines.

Plate under just in case
Put the airlock on and put the jar on a plate. I have never had anything bubble over, but better safe than sorry.

Note the date
Note the date and give it a try in 4 days. If it is not sour enough, leave it for another day and just keep tasting it. Once it is done to your liking put a lid on it and put it in the fridge.

Ready to eat!
As you can see the asparagus looks even greener than when the process started and is infused with vitamins and minerals. I eat a few pieces everyday at lunch and it is delicious!

6 comments:

  1. That looks cool. I love pickles, I might have to try this out this summer during farmers market season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool gadget. The asparagus looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! How neat. I see many jars of pickled garlic in my future....

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE how easy this is!!! Pickled asparagus...now that is something I need in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! I love pickled asparagus.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You always have the neatest kitchen stuff that I don't see anywhere else. I love it!

    ReplyDelete