Thursday, October 2, 2008

Thai Chicken Curry with Coconut Milk

I have never had curry chicken before, so I figured it was definitely time that I try it. I have really enjoyed cooking with coconut milk lately and recommend you give it a try, perhaps by making this recipe.




The recipe is for 4 servings, but I cut it in half. Lets get our ingredients and get started.




You need some chicken breast, boneless and skinless is easiest, but you can also chop up some thigh meat if you have some.




Some Red Curry paste. I can get this at my local grocery store so I think you may be able to as well.




I even saw fish sauce at my local grocery store. It really excites me when I see more diversity in the grocery stores.




Lemon.




Coconut milk. I try to find the lite kind as the full fat is rather high in calories and fat.




I served the curried chicken over some brown rice.




Remove the excess fat from the chicken and cut it into small strips.




Chop up some onion and pepper. Use whatever pepper variety you like, I happened to have green on hand already.




I added the fish sauce, lemon juice and lemon zest right into the measuring cup with the coconut milk and set it aside. Now that everything is prepped we can start to cook. Making sure you have everything ready to go before you actually put anything on the stove really makes a difference because you are not running around or hurrying once you get started.




Heat up some oil in a pan.




Spoon out some of the delicious curry paste. You may want to taste a tiny bit before you commit to adding a lot to see how hot it is for your palate.




Once you are comfortable with the amount, throw it in the oil. Stir that around for half a minute.




Add in the chicken and get it coated with the curry and brown it for about 3 more minutes.




Add in the onion and pepper and let that cook for a minute.




Then stir in the coconut milk with the seasonings. Add some salt and pepper at this point as well. Bring it to a boil and let it cook for about 5-7 minutes and you are ready to plate.




I garnished with a little bit of fresh mint from my Aerogarden. I recently picked one up and I will be doing a full review of it soon but a sneak preview is, I love it. I don't know how my chicken curry compares to the real deal but this was really good and really easy. You could make this with tofu or fake chicken and you would not be missing much as the curry flavor and the coconut milk are so rich.

8 comments:

  1. We have a lot of curries. There are so many different types of Thai curry pastes on the market and they're easy to get. We love them and adding fish sauce, brown sugar, garlic, chicken stock, extra chilli and lime juice at the end makes it even better. Coconut milk or cream is another great ingredient. We have a big South East Asian influence in our cooking here as we're so close. Yum it's delish. I'm glad you like it.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. This will go in my Dining Alone notebook. Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog! You're the only other person I know (besides me) who photographs their food step by step and then puts it on their blog.

    Your recipes sound fabulous and I can't wait to try them.

    Sorry to hear your husband doesn't join you for dinner, though. Wish mine were a better cook!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that looks really delicious! I love that you served it with brown rice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this stuff! I often fry the chicken with a little extra chili/ginger/garlic and give it all a sprinkling of ground cumin for some extra flavour.

    And to those who are picky with their vegetables you can totally substitute peppers/onions in this! I use cabbage, carrots and throw in some frozen corn - sometimes spinach too.. And broccoli/cauliflower is good too!

    Ane

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love curry! Nice dish... And I totally agree it is always best to have all your ingredients on the counter next to your cooking area so as not to run around crazy...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tried this recipe last night. It was great. I did add a can of bean sprouts to it. I had a can of them in the cupboard and they sounded good. Served this over egg noodles.

    The curry paste I bought wasn't very spicy. Next time I make it I'm going to add more.

    Thank you very much for posting this and your other recipes.

    ReplyDelete