Thursday, October 16, 2008

Coconut Rice with Spicy Tomato Sauce

Is it getting chilly where you are? Need something to add a little heat to your life? This is the perfect vegetarian dish to fill you up and warm you up.








I cut this recipe by 1/3. Lets gather some ingredients.




For the spicy tomato sauce you will need some brown sugar, diced tomatoes, chiles or sambal, lime and some garlic. You will also need shallots, but they were not able to make the photo, they were busy being a pain in the butt to peel.




For the rice you need rice and coconut milk. Doesn't get easier than that.




Lets get cooking. get the rice and the coconut milk in a pan over high heat. Now we can concentrate on the sauce.




mince up some garlic.




Here are our shallots all peeled and quartered.




Add some peanut oil to a pan and get it going over medium-high heat.




I used Sambal Oelek instead of regular chiles. This stuff is spiiicy, so be careful if you are not used to spicy foods.




Stir it in the pan with the shallots and garlic. The recipe wants you to add it later but I put it in first to really infuse the flavor in the shallots.




After 3-4 minutes zest the lime into the pan.




Add the tomatoes, lime juice and brown sugar to the pan and give it a stir. Cover and reduce heat to low, simmer for about 20 minutes. Your rice should be boiling too so drop that down to a simmer and pour yourself a TALL glass of water for this meal.




See you guys in 20!




This was spicy and so flavorful. I loved the subtle flavor of the rice with the bold and spicy flavor of the tomato sauce. This sauce would be delicious over chicken as well, but this vegetarian dish is filling enough as it is.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm that sounds nice. Another ingredient that would be nice in there if you didn't have lime rind would be kaffir lime leaves. They give off a really nice flavour.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the idea of using Sambal Oelek instead of chiles - but this carnivore totally missed the meat in this dish... ;-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. man, your food looks sooo good. You must enjoy cooking alot to cook just for yourself. I have to start coming here regularly to see if I can manage to cook for myself. I spent so many years cooking for a family of 4 I guess I got tired of it. But, it has been long enough now, I really should cook some.
    Hopefully, you will inspire me to do more than drool! ha
    Hugs
    Jamie

    ReplyDelete