Monday, October 27, 2008

Pasta with Sausage, Mustard and Caramelized Onions

I love pasta and I have recently discovered how versatile and useful sausage can be. I purchased a grill pack recently because of the amazing price and ended up with 4 pork sausages. I have used them all and will definitely add that to my shopping list from now on. The following recipe serves 2 and is from Nigel Slaters Real Fast Food cookbook.








Get some water boiling and lets gather some ingredients.




I am using regular onion instead of my usual favorite, shallots.




Slice up the sausage and the onion.




Measure out some chicken broth.




You need a pasta of your choosing, I am using bowtie pasta.




You also need some whole grain mustard.




I have beautiful parsley from my Aerogarden. Now we have everything so lets get cooking.




Fry up the sausage for about five minutes. You want it just browned.




Throw in the onions and get them covered with the oil and pork fat. yum.




Drop the pasta in the water and throw the lid on your onions and sausage. Let that stuff go for about 15 minutes. Check the onions to see if they need a drop or 2 more of oil as they cook.




When the onions look like this, you are ready to add the broth.




Scrape up all the good stuff from the bottom of the pan.




When you use fresh herbs, you always want to add them last so you don't cook all of their flavor out. Add in the parsley and the mustard and give it a good stir. Stir in the pasta as well and you are ready to eat!




This was so simple and so delicious. You could substitute chicken if you are not a sausage fan or if you just don't eat pork.

10 comments:

  1. Mmm. This looks so good. I could so do with a bowl of this right now, totally ignoring the fact that i just had lunch half an hour ago :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great recipe! How much pasta would I use for 2 servings?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been looking for a sausage pasta recipe for a while now so this is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love simple dishes like this. and the sausage brought it all together. we love sausage and thank you for checking in. It's been a long haul. I'll be posting food soon. I have so many fall recipes. Just have not had the time to cook with my new crazy schedule. Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful! I am so tired of heavy cream sauces with pasta... the broth and mmm pork fat make this diffrent and special...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, I do love sausage and pasta... this looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe I have only just discovered you! Your site is really fantastic. I love cooking sites with good photo-tutorials and there are not many of us around. I am looking forward to linking to you as much as possible!
    Cheers!
    Kathy Maister
    startcooking.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmmmm! That looks fabulous! I can't eat pork (really bad GERD when I do), but chicken sausages would be just as good! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i'm italian and i need to say that garofalo is the best, rarest, most expensive pasta there is in italy, after hand crafted of course. Good choice. looks good... just a little tips.. try chopping and peeling the sausage, removing the mustard and add peas, mushrooms, and double cream (at the end).

    ReplyDelete