Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Easy Portobello Pizzas

This recipe is so simple you have to wonder, why didn't I think of that? If you did already, you are a step ahead of me! This is so easy and so good I guarantee success. How can I guarantee it? I used the hubby-meter. He tried it, and he even admitted that it was 'not that bad'. He didn't eat the meal with me, but there is hope that the next time I make it, he may.




The first thing to do is preheat your oven to 400 degrees, I used my toaster oven and it turned out great. Now we can gather our ingredients.




Mushroom caps.




Cheese.




Jarred pizza sauce. If you make your own, all the better.




I use a spoon to scoop out all the membrane on the under side of the mushroom cap and I cut off the excess stem.




You are left with something that looks like this. Put it on a foil lined cookie sheet and pop it in the oven for about 10 minutes. Take them out of the oven and crank it up to Broil.




Now you can get your pizza toppings. I am using some amazing fresh basil from my Aerogarden.




And some onions. I used my mezzaluna to chop up the toppings. Once those are in order it is time to assemble.




Spread some sauce on the mushrooms, as much or as little as you would like.




Add some cheese and your toppings. The hubby was having some nachos with black olives so I snagged a few of those for one of my mini-pizzas. Put the pizzas in the oven on broil for about 3 minutes, keep an eye on them. When they look melty and delicious, pull them out and enjoy.




The mushroom 'crust' is so tasty you will not miss the carb filled traditional crust at all. I will be making these a lot in the future with different toppings and sauces.

I'd like to thank all of you guys again for the wonderful comments and emails I have been getting lately. I would also like to thank all of you that click the "stumble it" button to help others find their way to my site. I appreciate each and every one of you who spend a few minutes of your day reading this blog and making sure I don't have to Dine Alone.

12 comments:

  1. Excellent recipe. They look great. We do something similar but we stuff our mushies with spinach, feta and pine nuts.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow do those look amazing!! These are going in my "must make" file for sure. I love all of that stuff!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just can't wait to try this...I think I might just have to run out for tonight and get some shrooms!!!

    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks great - I'll have to try it. I do have to admit that I got sidetracked my the mention of nachos, though. Mmmm, nachos.

    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've made these more than once now, and they're great for people like me whose glucose levels can't tolerate all that crust!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shame I don't eat mushrooms, really.. But I'm so envious of that aerogarden of yours!!! I wish we had something like that around here.. Sigh..

    Ane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, I just wanted to let you know that I am a new reader and I love your site. My fiance had to go out of town for several months and it is nice to see someone else cooking just for themselves, because they enjoy it. I really like the recipes you pick too.

    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those look really great! I think I will try making them this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. these look SO good. i am planning to try something similar only with EGGPLANT instead. you think?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't believe I didn't think of that - OMG Im having these tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OK, I tried these last night and I can't believe how good they were...seriously I think I'm hooked. I need to go buy more mushrooms tonight!!!

    m.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh my favorite pizza is shrimp mushroom and olives. This would be a great way to have that.

    ReplyDelete