Monday, June 23, 2008

Steamed Chicken with Spicy Raisin Sauce

I bought an electric steamer a couple of years ago but did not use it much. I found a cookbook called "Steam Cuisine" recently and there were several good recipes in it that I want to share. Steaming is a very healthy way to prepare food and it is so simple. You don't have to buy an electric steamer, you can use bamboo steamers or a simple steaming basket that can be picked up for very little money. Lets let off some steam!












This is my steamer, I love it. It has other tiers that can be added on top of the first for steaming veggies and meats for different lengths of time.




Here are the ingredients for your sauce. yep, that is Rachael Ray on my chicken stock. The rest is butter, raisins, cinnamon and red wine.




To season the hen you need, cinnamon, lime and paprika.




Put those three things together in a bowl and mix them up.




Your hen should not have giblets inside so just give it a rinse and pat it dry.




Cut it in half down the middle.




Season it with the spice mix.




get it in the steamer and then we start working on our sauce.




Get all of the sauce ingredients in a pan but leave out the butter.




This probably wouldn't have looked so odd if I had used red grapes, but I just didn't have any!




when the sauce has reduced stir in the butter. Grab your chicken from the steamer and you are ready to plate.








This was REALLY good. I had never steamed chicken before and it turned out so juicy and delicious. I served it with more cole slaw, but it would have been great with rice or mashed potatoes.





I have more steamer recipes coming up this week!

6 comments:

  1. I steamed my turkey burgers the other day (without a cool stemer) This looks great. Happy Tuesday :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that looks good. I would leave out the raisins though

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Rachelle...I would leave the raisins/grapes out. I have one more cornish hen in the freezer so I'll have to give this a try this weekend.

    Oh, and I bought the makings of the coconut soup...going to try that tonight!

    michele

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must be getting SO SICK of the cole slaw. :)

    I bought a little basket steamer you can put in a pot at HomeGoods (there is one within like 3 minutes of my house now!) but haven't used it yet. Perhaps with some veggies this weekend?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never steamed chicken either. I might have to find me one of those steamers, too!
    Are you sick of coleslaw yet?
    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, Jeannie had the NERVE to give her steamer to someone else!!! (grin) Gheesh, I'll have to get myself one. I don't like the looks of steamed chicken so much, but ohhh the taste makes up for it.

    ReplyDelete