Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Singapore-Style Rice Noodles

One of the blogs I enjoy reading regularly is written by Joanne who also contributes to Marcus Samuelsson's blog. She posted a recipe for Singapore Style Noodles and I had to give it a try because Tom has actually been asking me to make him some 'spicy noodles with vegetables'. So to find the recipe, please Click Here. Also click on Joanne's name to visit her site, she is hilarious and makes delicious food.

ingredients
For this you will need some kind of noodle that you like, I prefer Somen. Onion, cooking oil that can cook at a high temperature (I use rice bran oil), curry powder (or whatever spice blend you like), green pepper, red pepper, cabbage, garlic, green onion, broth, mirin, soy sauce and brown sugar. A lot of ingredients, but this is super easy. Get some water on to boil and lets start prepping!

pepper
Chop your peppers. I scored pre chopped green peppers on Manager's special at my grocery store, so I didn't have to worry about those.

onions
Slice the onion.

bok choy
Chop the cabbage. I used bok choy and I didn't use much because Tom was a little scared of it.

green onion
Chop the green onion.

chana masala powder
Measure your curry powder. Remember that most important part to a successful stir fry is have everything ready before you start to cook.

soy sauce mixture
Prepare the broth mixture and mince your garlic.

ready to cook
Get everything prepped at the stove so you are not running around.

noodles in
Drop the noodles and let them cook. Somen noodles only need about 3 minutes.

noodles out
Bail them out and lets get stir frying!

onions and peppers in
Get the oil nice and hot and drop in the peppers and onions. The key here is to stir or it will burn. Cook these for 3-4 minutes or until they are soft.

bok choy, garlic and curry in
Stir in the curry, garlic, and cabbage. Cook this for about a minute.

noodles and broth mixture in
Stir in the broth and the noodles and let those cook for about 2 minutes, then stir in the green onion and you are ready to eat.

Singapore Style Noodles
The spice blend I used was HOT as heck for me, Tom said he could taste the spice but it was not hot. But he said he would definitely eat this again, woo! Thanks for the inspiration Joanne!



11 comments:

  1. Sans the onions, I am all over that dish! My husband replied to your comment yesterday, thought you would get a kick out of it!

    Rhonda June 10, 2013 at 1:10 pm Edit Reply
    Sounds like an awesome weekend! The chicken breast looks so good, I need to make more bone in breasts. The highlight of my weekend was being able to sit and read Under The Dome and just relax.

    biz319 June 10, 2013 at 9:42 pm Edit Reply
    So glad you guys had a great getaway – I always am intrigued by Tom’s tattooed arms!

    Mr. BizMoto (Tony) June 11, 2013 at 3:28 pm Edit Reply
    I fully support your significant others food decisions. It is that sort of thinking that makes America great! USA USA USA

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so so so glad you guys liked these!! And thanks for the shout-out...you are so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want this for lunch today, it looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds wonderful and I love heat!! I'm amazed that Tom ask for this, these men are strange...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These noodles look wonderful and you always give such a nice step by step demonstration.
    I am so glad that Tom enjoyed it too.
    Blessings dear. Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joanne has wonderful recipes. The noodles look mighty tasty!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a huge rice noodle fan so I love this recipe! Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so happy to see some Japanese ingredients: the oil you have (that was unexpected!), mirin, and somen! The noodle looks so delicious - lots of veggies and healthy too. I ate noodles for lunch and dinner. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am fortunate to have some really wonderful Asian and other foreign markets where I live. I love trying new ingredients!

      Delete