Monday, June 17, 2013

Fry's Walnut Taco Salad

My local grocery store sends out little pamphlets with coupons and recipes a few times a month and they usually have some tasty looking food. I saw this recipe for a taco salad that used walnuts instead of meat, I thought it sounded really interesting and I knew I had some walnuts in my freezer. I am so glad I gave this a try because it ended up being delicious and I didn't have to heat up my kitchen cooking anything.

recipe from Fry's

ingredients
You will need some walnuts that have been soaking in water for 2-8 hours, cumin and cayenne or taco seasoning, tortilla chips, salsa, guacamole, tomato, sour cream and some lettuce.

Chopped
I made my own guacamole, which is super simple. Chop up your tomato and onion.

guac
Mash your avocado with some salt, lime juice and a pinch of cumin. Stir in the onion and tomato and you are done. So easy.

walnuts and taco seasoning
Get your walnuts in a mini chopper or hand chop them and mix with the taco seasoning.

mixed
Chop until its kind of a meaty chunky texture.

on the lettuce
Put it on top of the lettuce and then add your other toppings.

sour cream
The recipe said to put the sour cream in a plastic bag and snip off the end. I made too big of a snip and it didn't turn out looking as nice as I'd hoped, but I know now for next time.

Walnut Taco Salad
All put together and ready to eat. This was surprisingly filling and delicious. The walnuts taste great with the taco seasoning and you will not miss the meat at all.



14 comments:

  1. How interesting, never heard of anything like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks hearty and delicious. I would never have thought to replace meat with walnuts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We were at the mexican restaurant over the weekend for lunch and the lady who sat next to me was eating taco salad. I haven't eaten taco salad for YEARS and I was very intrigued to order at my next visit. And here you are making sure that I'm remembering about taco salad. Your homemade version looks delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I have never heard of that before! Glad it worked out - I bet the walnuts were filling too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can totally see how this would be filling! I love salads and this looks like a great summer dish. I have been so lazy when it comes to cooking lately, this would be perfect to whip up one night!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Rhonda,
    just discovered your blog. Very nice, fresh and healthy recipes.
    I'll come back to visit for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds really interesting. I would have never thought of using walnuts instead of meat. It sounds healthy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds wonderful and healthy. I bet it was delicious with the nuts seasoned as they were. Terrific. Blessings dearest. Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whoa! What a cook taco filling! I've never seen anything like it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love the crunch the walnuts give this salad. What fun to use ingredients in new and creative ways.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a totally cool way to enjoy taco salad. Love it!


    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice! I wish my grocery store did that. This looks fantastic, I have never had a taco salad before, but I want one now :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely looking taco salad :D
    Delicious job!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this way to eat taco. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete