Monday, January 4, 2010

Pyrexia - a severe case

I have been collecting Pyrex for about a year now and I have to say, it is a fun hobby but it really can turn into an obsession. The hubby and I joke that I suffer from a condition called 'Pyrexia'. I started my collection with the following plate:




I posted it to flickr and then submitted it to a group for vintage kitchen ware. I then started browsing the group and fell in love with Pyrex. I then found a couple of other groups devoted specifically to Pyrex and I was hooked.



I think this was the next piece that I got. I couldn't get a good photo of it, but I loved it and I was officially a collector.



This is probably my favorite Pyrex pattern, and I wish I had more of it. I love going to thrift stores and antique stores and searching for the pieces.




These are a couple of others that I got in the first few days of collecting. I love cooking with my Pyrex and only have a couple of pieces that I won't use. It makes cooking more fun when I can use all my colorful dishes. It is also cool knowing that some of the dishes I have in my collection have been around since the 50s and still look beautiful.

9 comments:

  1. I collect pyrex too! Some of my faves are the little refrigerator containers with lids. I have about 10 of them, and I use them instead of plastic. It just looks amazing! I've got most of mine at garage sales, and some from my aunt. I have 2 of the divided dishes, one with eagles, it's very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh lovely! Like the didvided one. Can't remember seeing ones tlike that here. My Mum had lots of pieces,it always cooked really well and washed up easily. Such a shame my sister threw it away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we have seen some of those at our house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a really nice collection. I enjoy kitchen stuff from that era. I have a few Pyrex pieces and just recently replace about half a set of Corelle dinnerware I received when I first married in '82. You can find lots of cool stuff on Ebay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mom has some of the blue and white ones with the farmers on it. If she ever decides to get rid of them, I'll have her send them my way for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pyrex! Looks like a nice collection! I haven't got any but I was thinking of starting one myself!

    Just started reading your blog, I am really enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pyrexia - I think that I am infected too. Is there a treatment or do I just need more Pyrex?

    I love your posts because you show your food in your Pyrex. I use mine too because food just tastes better when it is in a great dish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I *love* all of the awesome vintage Pyrex dishes you're collecting, I'm set on trying to find some now. Your recipes look great, check out my blog for recipes if you get the chance =)

    www.healthyandhomemade.info

    ReplyDelete