Saturday, January 2, 2010

Teriyaki Chicken Thighs

I am so glad you guys are excited about the format change, I am excited for sure. Thanks to you all for the comments and for reading, it is humbling to say the least. Now on to some cooking!

I think I should rename this blog, Dining Alone on chicken thighs. But I really do love them and I always buy them in bulk because they are so cheap.

This recipe comes from The Food Network website.

Ingredients

* 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
* 2 tablespoons brown sugar
* 2 tablespoons dry sherry
* 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
* 2 garlic cloves, crushed with a garlic press or minced
* 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
* 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
* 2 pounds skinless chicken thighs
* 2 teaspoons sesame seeds

Directions

Combine the soy sauce, sugar, sherry, vinegar, garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes and stir until the sugar dissolves. Transfer to a resealable plastic bag and add the chicken. Seal the bag and marinate the chicken in the refrigerator, turning once, for 1 hour. The chicken can be marinated for up to 4 hours.

Heat the broiler to high. Arrange the chicken on a broiler pan skin side down and broil until brown and crispy, 8 to 10 minutes. Flip the chicken and broil until almost cooked through, about 8 minutes longer. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and cook until the seeds turn golden brown and the chicken is done, 1 to 2 minutes longer.




You will need some soy sauce, brown sugar, sherry (I used Marsala as that is what I had), rice vinegar, garlic, ginger, red pepper and chicken thighs. You can also top with sesame seeds if you have them. Toasted sesame seeds are one of my favorite things, so I always have some on hand.




Mince your garlic.



Measure out and combine the soy sauce, wine, vinegar, garlic and ginger. Stir it till the sugar is incorporated.



Put the chicken in a zipper bag and pour the combined ingredients over it and get it all nice and mushed around the chicken. You will want to marinate it for about an hour or up to four hours. Mine is resting in one of my Pyrex refrigerator dishes. This pattern is called Early American and I am not a huge fan of brown Pyrex, but I like this dish.



It went off to join more of its Pyrex buddies in my fridge. When you are ready to cook, preheat your broiler and figure out a side dish as this will be ready in no time.



Put the chicken skin side down on the broiler tray or a cookie sheet.




Broil skin side down for 8-10 minutes then give them a flip.



After about 8 more minutes, sprinkle with the sesame seeds and let those toast for 1-2 minutes.



I served the chicken with some brussels sprouts I steamed in the microwave. I finished them with a little olive oil and salt. Simple and delicious. Thanks again for all of the comments and I look forward to sharing more of my life with you guys.

8 comments:

  1. I'm definitely going to try this out! As I was looking at it, my boyfriend leaned in over my shoulder and says, "That looks so good, why are you torturing me?" Can't wait to see more posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog looking for pork and sauerkraut recipes and I really like your blog. I haven't started my blog yet but I will soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! We love chickie thighs! Looks, and sounds good.Will definitely try this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chicken thighs are definitely a completely separate food group for me! I'll be making this tonight!!! Question...after years and years of being afraid to try them, I recently tried brussels sprouts. I roasted them with olive oil, S & P - - Yummy. Any other recipe ideas would be great!

    Thanks!!!

    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  5. You make chicken thighs look so tasty - too bad they still taste like chicken thighs. I'm drooling over those brussel sprouts though. I just bought some this weekend and may need to cook them for dinner tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These will get made as the Big Red Guy loves chicken thighs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

    ReplyDelete