Saturday, January 9, 2010

Picante Roast Beef by Robin Miller

You won't believe this but I am not making chicken thighs! I am actually making a quick and easy roast beef dish that will warm you up as I know most of the country and some parts of the world are freezing. This is a quick meal you can make after a long day at work. It comes from Robin Miller of the Food Network. I cut this recipe in half.

2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 cup diced onions
2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
12 ounces sliced roast beef, sliced into strips
1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (4-ounce) can minced green chiles
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
Salt and ground black pepper

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and saute 3 minutes, until soft. Add roast beef slices and saute 3 to 5 minutes, until browned on all sides, stirring frequently. Add tomatoes, jalapenos, lime juice, and cumin and stir to combine. Bring to a simmer and cook 5 minutes, to heat through and reduce slightly. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro. Season, to taste, with salt and black pepper.




We need some ingredients to start out. Grab some sliced roast beef, lime juice (fresh is best), onion, olive oil, green chiles (or jalapenos if you like it hot), canned tomatoes, cumin, garlic and cilantro (or parsley if you don't like cilantro like me).




Chop the roast beef into strips.




Dice your onion and garlic.




Combine the tomatoes with the cumin, lime juice and the green chiles. I did this in my awesome little Pyrex mixing bowl.




Store the leftovers in cute little Pyrex containers. You could use these on some nachos later or in some chili.

Once you are all prepped you can cook. This will be done in no time at all.




Get some oil in a pan and drop in the onion and garlic. Cook for just a couple of minutes until the onions have softened.




Drop in the roast beef and cook this for 3-5 minutes. You want to get it browned all over so stir it around.




Stir in the tomato mixture and let this simmer for 5 minutes.

While this simmers I made some of my new favorite rice.




This is from Trader Joes and is quick and easy. I know its not going to be as delicious as making it myself, but sometimes I want rice and I want it now!




Can't get much easier than that. You could also serve this beef dish on rolls if you prefer.




Once the simmering is through, remove it from the heat and stir in the herbs. You are ready to eat!




Talk about fast, filling and pretty low in fat. This would probably be pretty good with some roasted turkey also, if you are not a red meat fan. Enjoy and stay warm!

5 comments:

  1. I am quite sure you have the same knife I do only mine is blue. Love that knife!
    This looks delicious! It got me in the mood for roast. Yum yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks and sounds really tasty - may have to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. or some chicken thighs!
    ;o)
    puglette

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum- the dish looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete