Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Toffee Peanuts

With the 4th of July coming up you may have some folks coming over for a BBQ or "cook out" as we called it growing up. This is a fun snack to put out while everyone waits for their dogs and burgers. The recipe is from Taste of Home and I cut it in half.

Ingredients:

* 1/4 cup sugar
* 2 tablespoons butter, melted
* 2 tablespoons corn syrup
* 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
* 2 cups unsalted dry roasted peanuts

Directions:
In a large bowl, combine the sugar, butter, corn syrup, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Add peanuts; toss to coat. Transfer to a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan.
Bake at 300° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown, stirring once. Cool on a wire rack; break apart if necessary. Store in an airtight container.




Preheat your oven to 300 degrees and lets get our ingredients. You need some peanuts, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, white sugar, butter and corn syrup.




Melt up the butter.




Get it in a bowl with the rest of the spices and sugars.




Stir in the peanuts.




Pour them out on to a baking sheet lined with non stick foil or grease it however you prefer. Put them in the oven for 20-25 minutes and give them a stir if you remember. I didn't and they turned out fine.




You can't imagine how good this smelled! Let it cool and then break it up and pop it into the fridge until its time to serve.




I will admit that these got served to just me, but not all in one sitting, I swear.

10 comments:

  1. Like the kids would say... I am drooling!
    Veronica

    ReplyDelete
  2. A couple of Christmas' ago I made everyone different little treats and this recipe was one of them. It's yummy.

    D x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, just yum. I couldn't think of what to take to a 4th of July party. THANKS!!!

    Patience

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks wonderful. Great for the sweet tooth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw the recipe and had to make it. Today! It's in the oven right now and it smells incredible! Yum!
    -Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy! I think I'm going to make this today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to be making this real soon. This weekend, maybe...

    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was rereading the recipe prior to making Toffee Peanuts and a thought crossed my mind: I'll bet this would make good Toffee Almonds. I may have to give that a try!

    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  9. One final (I promise!) word on this recipe: don't make them on a humid/rainy day. They won't set up. It was cool here on the 4th and I had the windows opened. Made the recipe and everything was going along well. Then it started to rain and the toffee seemed to absorb the water in the air and went back to a more liquid state. Even after I closed up the house and turned on the A/C -- they remained "sticky." They tasted good, but were very messy to eat.

    Sally

    ReplyDelete