Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Sandwich

As it is getting hot here in AZ again I have to resort to cooking in my toaster oven or crock pot on most days. I found a great and simple meal to make that will be perfect for a picnic or get together. I made just a small serving, but this can easily be done on a larger scale.




You will need some pork loin, onions, BBQ spices, garlic powder and some barbecue sauce. I didn't have any bottled sauce on hand so I made my own. I did the prep the night before so the next day I could just throw it in the slow cooker and be on my way.




To make the sauce I diced up some shallots.




I put them in a sauce pan with some ketchup, tabasco, liquid smoke, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, garlic powder and some salt and pepper.




I gave it all a stir and let it simmer on low for 10-15 minutes.




While the sauce simmered I prepped the rest of the ingredients.




I sliced up the onion.




I put it in a Pyrex dish to store in the fridge overnight. Can you tell I am still loving my Pyrex?




I made a simple rub for the pork out of garlic powder, allspice and some BBQ powder from Penzey's spices.




I put some lime juice on the pork and then rubbed it down with the spices. I put it in a ziploc bag to store until the next morning.




I got my BBQ sauce out of the pan and put it in the fridge with the rest of my ingredients.




The next day I got everything out and did the last couple of steps.




I cut the pork into cubes.




And added a little bit of Scotch to the BBQ sauce for that little extra something.




I got the onions in the crock pot first.




Then topped it with the pork and BBQ sauce. I let it cook for 6 hours on low and then just used a fork to pull apart the pork. It was effortless after the time in the slow cooker.




I served it up on a nice roll and it was delicious!

10 comments:

  1. Simon Robert George HasteJune 10, 2009 at 3:02 PM

    That's a very good whisky you used there! Some would say too good for cooking. But the recipe sounds great so I'll give it a go, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking of doing some pull pork soon!

    Thanks for the kick start!

    I never make mine the same twice but I have lots of fun!

    One thing I've done and a great deal of fun with take the liquid left after I remove the pork and reduce it until it is almost a paste - I call it my zippie goo jah! I tend to put a multiple kinds of hot peppers in the crockpot with the seeds.

    I have heard such GREAT stuff about the broccoli and cashews that it is one my list for the week!

    Stay KHOOL!

    Khyra's Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummy! that totally looks so easy and delicious. is that something your hubby would eat? this looks like a great pot luck meal. it's on my list of recipes to try!
    thanks for sharing,
    puglette
    :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi again, i also wanted to mention that i am going to try the steamer bags tonight! i was inspired by your recipes and all of the praise you gave them.
    :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM! Is this something the hubby will eat?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love pulled pork! and I also have an old school mexican lime squeezer...too cute

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love pyrex. and pulled pork is a favorite around here. Great idea for the hot days. let the crock to all the work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've not commented here before, but I'm a loyal reader and wanted to share your blog with readers of my own blog. Thus, I gave you a virtual award here:
    http://neededground.blogspot.com/2009/06/well-blow-me-down.html

    ReplyDelete