Saturday, March 21, 2009

Chardonnay Saffron Risotto

I made my very first Risotto within the last year and even after that I was not confident that I could do it again. I don't know why it seems so daunting, but this recipe totally changed my mind about making risotto. This recipe takes the fuss out of it and let me know you do not need to babysit it for it to turn out delicious.








This recipe came from a Dean and Deluca cookbook I scored at my local library book sale.




You need some Chicken stock or broth, Arborio rice, parmesan cheese, saffron, shallots, garlic and some Chardonnay.




Chop up the shallots nice and fine.




Do the same with your garlic.




Measure out the chicken broth and the wine.




Get some olive oil going in a nice heavy pan, I used my dutch oven.




Get the shallots and garlic in the pan and cook them over medium high heat for about 5 minutes.




Add in the rice and stir for about 2-3 minutes.




Start adding the stock 1/2 cup at a time. I just use a ladle and add one ladle at a time. Stir continuously while adding the stock. As each ladle full has been absorbed, add another. Keep doing this until you have used up 2 cups of the stock.




Once you are through 2 cups of stock and it is absorbed add in the wine and saffron and give it a stir.




Add in the remaining stock and you are done babysitting! Drop the heat and let it simmer until the liquid has been absorbed.




After it has soaked everything up, stir in some paremesan cheese and some salt and pepper.




Garnish with some parsley and you are ready to eat! I still can't believe how easy this was and it turned out perfect. You can use any flavor combo you want with this basic recipe and enjoy the creamy goodness of risotto without all the work.

5 comments:

  1. that looks really yummy! i haven't tried risotto yet...but i did think this was an interesting technique too. it's cooked in the oven!

    http://beyondsalmon.blogspot.com/2008/12/risotto-can-lazy-method-yield-better.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm always intimidated by risotto as well. I'll have to give it a shot sometime...I would go mushroomy. Criminis and chanterelles probably.

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesome! minus the girly pink plate... geez!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never made or had risotto but that looks really really good.

    ReplyDelete