Sunday, January 25, 2009

Balsamic Pork Loin

One of the things I got for Christmas was an awesome All Clad meat thermometer. It has a probe that goes in your meat and a display that you can set outside of your oven, so you always know the temperature of what you are cooking.




I was very excited as I had wanted one of these for a while.

I made a simple roasted pork loin to try it out. The recipe is from allrecipes.com and does require marinating the day before or a few hours before.

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)

* 1 tablespoon steak seasoning rub
* 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
* 1/4 cup olive oil
* 1 pound boneless pork loin roast

1. Dissolve steak seasoning in balsamic vinegar, then stir in olive oil. Place pork into a resealable plastic bag and pour marinade overtop. Squeeze out air and seal bag; marinate 2 hours to overnight.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
3. Place pork into a glass baking dish along with marinade. Bake in preheated oven, basting occasionally until the pork reaches an internal temperature of 145 degrees F (65 degrees C), about 1 hour. Let the roast rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.




You don't need many ingredients for this pork loin recipe, just some balsamic vinegar, steak seasoning, olive oil and some pork.




get everything combined together.




Pour it into a bag with your pork and put it in the fridge for 2 hours or overnight.




When you are ready to cook, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Put the pork in a baking dish with the marinade and if you've got a thermometer, insert it into the thickest part of the meat.




It lets you keep an eye on it and when it reached 145, out the pork came!




I let it rest a bit too long covered and I was able to see the temperature rise, even though it was sitting on the counter. It was very cool to really see how much the meat continues to cook when it is resting in foil. I threw a beet in the oven about 20 minutes before the pork and peeled that up and sliced it to go on the side. The pork was tasty and I will definitely do that marinade again, as I adore vinegar.

3 comments:

  1. oh wow! I have never cooked pork tenderloin (as we call it here), but my Ma In Law cooks a kinda escalopey thingy with it, in breadcrumbs, possibly because my Mum never cooked tenderloin, only chops and roast, I never attempted the loin.

    However, Husband has been nagging on about the pork chops we got last time from the butchers being so tough and to try Tenderloin.

    This recipe is just up my street. I will try this at the weekend and report back.

    I use balsamic vinegar a great deal in all sorts, it is surely a magic ingredient. It can make a sauce or a dressing.

    I buy mine very cheaply and good quality in the "budget" grocery stores, because we use so much of it.

    Never owned a meat thermometer, interested in your views on it though.

    Jeannie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your thermometer and the balsamic vinegar too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm, I love beets.

    ReplyDelete