Friday, July 25, 2008

Stir Fried Chicken with Baby Bok Choy

This recipe comes from my "Serves One" cookbook that I love.








Do seek out the oyster sauce and do not make an icky face like ewww oysters. This sauce has a 'fishy' note but it adds great flavor and I guarantee you will find it in a lot of Asian sauces and you never even knew it.




I used some breast meat, but would have preferred thigh meat.




Chop it up into bite sized pieces.




cover it minced garlic.




Grab some ginger that if you read my blog and use my tips, should be in your freezer.




Get the chicken all combined with the ginger and garlic.




Here is your star, the Oyster sauce. I used chicken stock instead of water because I wanted to use it before it went bad. A reader commented asking how I like Rachael Ray's stock and I have to admit that it is not that bad! I am no huge Rachael fan, I can't really handle watching her shows but I LOVE her magazine.




I also added in a little sweet chili sauce because I really like a little sweetness in my food. I do love my savory with a little sweet.




Mix the broth with the oyster sauce.




I don't know if this is Bok Choy or Baby Bok Choy? I didn't even know what part of this thing to eat. I looked around on the internet and saw that you can eat all of it pretty much? Can anyone tell me for sure which part of this tasty thing I am supposed to use?




I used mostly the white crunchy part.




Get the chicken in a wok with some oil. I prefer peanut oil for stir frying.








When the chicken is looking cooked, toss in the sauce.




Add in the bok choy and let it cook for just a minute so it stays crunchy.




Once it is done to your likeness, plate it up!








This was tasty, fast and easy. I will definitely use the sauce again as a basic stir fry sauce.

5 comments:

  1. You can eat both parts of the veg...I do actually. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How bizarre, I cooked something very similar to that last night. Chicken and bok choy but I did mine with a sesame sauce and fried rice (which actually looked more like a paella).

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's not a baby bok choy -- that's a big one! But you can eat all of it! The leaves are DELICIOUS. I sometimes just cook baby bok choy by itself and eat it -- it's just so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmmm never treid a bok choy... looks like a giant celery

    ReplyDelete
  5. We used bok choy in the last meal in my cooking class and it was not really to my liking... but that may have been the context in which we cooked it. I will give it another chance someday!

    I also use peanut oil for stir frying and saute'ing... made that mushroom saute again the other night and OM NOM NOM.

    ReplyDelete