Monday, July 7, 2008

Cold Soba Noodle Salad with Chicken, Peppers and Cucumber

It is ridiculously hot here in the summer so I like to make a lot of salads. This one was very filling and has a great bright flavor.




Put some water on to boil and lets grab our ingredients!




You need some soba noodles and some oil. I ended up switching to olive oil instead of regular vegetable oil.




Sesame Oil, Rice Vinegar and a Lime




You need some cucumber, I prefer English cucumbers, some red pepper and some basil.




I had made a roasted chicken and had some leftover in the fridge. This would be just as tasty with tuna or with no meat at all!




Chop up the red pepper








Peel your cucumber




Seed it by running a spoon along the inside and just scrape away the seeds. English cucumbers have a small amount of seeds compared to the regular cukes, so I like working with them for dishes like this.




Slice them up after they are seeded. By now you should be able to get your noodles cooking.








While those cook, grab your lime and cut it in half.




I juiced it right over the chicken.




Add the other dressing ingredients right on top of the chicken in a bowl.




Then add the veggies




and finally your cooked noodles. Keep an eye on those things, they cook up fast! Don't forget to add a little salt and pepper here too.




I simply put the lid on the bowl and gave it a few shakes to combine it.




Garnish with some lime slices and enjoy! This salad is very refreshing and perfect for a hot summer day!

4 comments:

  1. I'm so making this... just have to wait for the kid to be gone since he wouldn't approve. ;) That's a compliment, by the way, 14 year old boys aren't known for their sophisticated pallettes. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yay!! I must try this one -- I've got some soba noodles I have yet to use. Looks very tasty and healthy \o/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel bad about complaining about heat. 110 here. It's the smoke from the fires that really make it bad. So this salad is a winner. I've been making salads all week to beat the heat. I think this one will go on the table tonight. I was looking for a cool chic salad. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks fresh and wonderful - I have never tried soba noodles they look really nice

    ReplyDelete