Monday, July 14, 2008

Cucumber and Red Pepper Salad

It is still very hot here in Arizona and will be for a few months. Some days I just can't eat a warm meal, but a nice salad hits the spot! I found this recipe on Cooks Recipes.com and thought it looked like a nice update to my usual cucumber salad I love so much. The surprising thing about this is the Hubby actually liked it and is bugging me to make it for him again soon!

1 large cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

1. In medium shallow serving bowl, toss cucumber slices with onion slices and diced red bell pepper.
2. In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients and mix well.
3. Drizzle salad with a dressing. Let stand at room temperature, up to 2 hours, until ready to serve.




This is so simple but has a unique flavor that even picky husbands like! Gather up your ingredients and lets make some salad!




I used sweet onion as they are in season and as I said before, I love them.




I peeled the cucumber...




And then sliced it up nice and thin.




I then diced some red pepper.




I put the red pepper, onion and cucumber in a bowl and made the dressing.




I have only recently discovered how much I love rice vinegar. Pour some out and add in the sugar.




sprinkle in some red pepper flakes and some cilantro if you have it, if not use some basil or parsley.




Once everything is in the bowl pour the dressing over it. I like to make these kinds of salads in bowls with tight lids as I just pour on the dressing, pop on the lid and shake shake shake! The colors in this are just gorgeous.




After a few hours the flavors combine and it is ready to serve!!




This was the small serving I gave to the Hubby to try, he finished it right up!

2 comments:

  1. Well congratulations on getting T to ruin the name of your blog for a change. :) This does look nice and summery and I looooooooove cucumbers!

    ReplyDelete