Sunday, July 28, 2013

Mongolian Beef

I love recreating restaurant dishes at home because it is so much cheaper and you can really make it taste just how you want it to. Tom and I both like Mongolian Beef so I thought I would try this recipe I found on the Table For Two Blog. Head on over there to check out the recipe or follow my step by step photos.

IMG_2001
The original recipe calls for green onion but I wanted more veggies so I added green pepper and onion. You also need beef, soy sauce, corn starch, brown sugar, ginger, garlic and some cooking oil. I am using rice bran oil.

IMG_2002
Chop up your meat nice and thin. This ensures it will cook quickly and evenly.

IMG_2003
Coat the beef with corn starch.

IMG_2004
I found it easiest to do this with my hands. Once it is coated get it in the fridge for about 10 minutes while you prep the rest of the food.

IMG_2005
Peel your ginger.

IMG_2006
Mince it with a knife or your trusty microplane.

IMG_2007
Mince the garlic as well.

IMG_2008
Chop whatever veggies you are using.

IMG_2009
Combine the soy sauce, water and brown sugar.

IMG_2011
Saute the garlic and ginger in some oil.

IMG_2012
Get it in with the soy sauce mixture and let it boil for about 2 minutes then set it aside.

IMG_2013
Saute your vegetables.

IMG_2014
Get them out of there.

IMG_2015
Saute the beef. Don't over crowd the pan or you will end up steaming your beef.

IMG_2016
Get the beef out on to a paper towel to drain.

IMG_2017
Pour the soy sauce mixture into the frying pan and let it come to a boil.

IMG_2018
Toss the meat back in and you will see the sauce start to thicken immediately from the corn starch. Once it is thickened up you are ready to eat. Plate it with some rice or noodles and enjoy.

Mongolian Beef
This is a fast way to get a tasty dinner on the table and brings you all the great flavors of Chinese take out for a lot less money.


13 comments:

  1. This looks so easy and delicious. Does it have to be Mongolian beef? Not a big fan of beef and usually prefer chicken. Thanks for the step by step photos. I am unable to cook anything without photos. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once in a while I really want to eat Mongolian Beef and I order it in a restaurant. Haven't thought of making it at home, but you showed us how easy it is to make! Perfect over the rice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum!! I just discovered I have 5 (five!) bottles of soy sauce in my cupboard so I think I need to make about a year's worth of Chinese/Asian food to use them up. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy yum, I think my husband would like this - eek! Except I'd have to leave most of the veggies off his plate! (and me with the onions!)

    Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a super easy Mongolian beef recipe! I think John would even eat this too :) What cut of beef did you use for this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our store sells something called 'breakfast steak' but flank or flat iron would works just as well.

      Delete
  6. My husband and son would love this recipe. Thanks for sharing it. A definitely good weeknight meal for he family.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  7. eek! Except I'd have to leave most of the veggies off his plate! (and me with the onions!)Challenge coins

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't had mongolian beef in so long! This looks soooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks like my kind of meal!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Rhonda, This is SO much better than take-out! and SO much healthier!! I know it was delicious!!!
    Blessings my dearest. Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always feel so accomplished when I achieve a restaurant dish at home!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks so good. I love making restaurant dishes at home.

    ReplyDelete