Monday, December 3, 2012

Healthy Harvest Chili

One of my guilty pleasures is reading People magazine. They usually include one or two recipes per issue and this one caught my eye because it looked super easy and cheap, who doesn't love that?

recipe
I did one less can of beans than it calls for so that it did not make a ton of food. I love leftover chili but not for a whole week. One thing to note is the seasoning packets have a lot of salt in them, so you do not need to add any more during the cooking process for this to turn out delicious.

ingredients
You will need some ground turkey or chicken, beans, tomatoes, onion, corn, a taco seasoning packet and a ranch dressing seasoning packet. Talk about easy, you don't even have to measure anything!

onions
Chop up your onion and get it in the pan with some olive oil. Cook this over medium for 8-10 minutes or until the onion just starts to brown.

meat
Once your onion is cooked get the meat in the pan. Cook that for about 5 minutes.

everything in
Once the meat is ready stir in the rest of the ingredients and bring it to a boil. Let it simmer for about 20 minutes and you are ready to eat. I told you this is easy!

simmering
The best part of this recipe is that while the chili simmers, there is nothing to clean up! Use that 20 minutes to do some holiday shopping online, call a friend, or just relax.

Leo Howard's Chili
Get the chili into a bowl and enjoy! This could easily be done in a crock pot as well, just brown the meat and onions and throw everything in the crock pot on low for 6-8 hours.

I hope you all have a great week!

11 comments:

  1. Looking away from the onions, but I love one pot meals like that.

    I made a chili with the leftover brisket last night, but it came out more soupy. I ended up putting in a couple stale pieces of bread and it thickened up nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I would add some corn Chips on top and then I would be in heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds good, it must be a time everyone is making chili. I have venison chili on the menu this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's cold and rainy here today... a bowl of this chili would be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful an flavourful chilli :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  6. Healthy, hearty and tasty! Can't go wrong there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like looking at all the pretty people in People magazine and I'm stoked b/c I just got an offer for 6 free issues. They give me that offer every couple years to try to lure me back in but I just can't pay the price for a subscritpion-lol. I love that you used ground chicken, I was trying to think of ways to use the ground chicken I got on sale (though I think mine was a bit more than yours-what a steal!). Great idea putting it in chili!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your chili looks great! I made some Sunday and it's perfect this time of year. We eat ours in a bowl over spaghetti, the Louisville way. I like People mag also! I've been playing catch-up with your blog since I have been a bit busy lately, decorating and all. Lots of good posts that I enjoyed here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. P.S. I meant to say much earlier that I love your header. Very simple and chic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also really enjoy the recipes in People magazine (along with a side of celebrity gossip) :) I missed this chili recipe so thanks for sharing because it looks great! Did you see the beef satay one? It also looked really good :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. For a cold day like today, chili sounds like a wonderful meal! You have a nice recipe!

    ReplyDelete