Saturday, August 20, 2011

Mexican Shrimp Bisque

I love soup. Soup is STILL a four letter word to my husband, so this recipe serves 2, which is me and me!

recipe

recipe
This recipe comes from the now defunct magazine Cooking for 2 from Taste of Home publishers. I loved this magazine, but as is the case with a lot of great publications, they were stopped due to lack of subscribers. Darn you internets!

ingredients for Shrimp Bisque
For this recipe you will need some shrimp, flour, sour cream, whipping cream, chicken bouillon or broth, garlic, onion, paprika (I didn't have coriander), cumin and chili powder. Sounds delicious already. If you have some avocado or guacamole handy you can add some at the end as well.

So lets start to prep because this soup will come together in no time.

spices for shrimp bisque in pyrex pixie
Measure out your spices.

chopped
Chop your garlic and onion.

water ready to go in
Measure out your water.

measured cream
Measure your cream.

sour cream
Measure the sour cream. I sure used a lot of Pyrex this recipe!

shrimps!
I used frozen shrimp and just defrosted them under cold water. Don't call the food police on me. Take the tails off and cut them into bite sized pieces if you want.

Ok I think we are ready to start cooking!

onions
Cook the onion and garlic until tender, which should only be a couple of minutes.

flour in
Stir in the flour.

spicy
Stir in the water, cream, chili powder, bouillon, cumin and paprika. Bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover and let it simmer for 5 minutes. This is where I get mad at my new stove because reduce the heat means, take the pan off the burner, wait about 30 minutes for the heat to actually reduce. Ok so its not THAT bad, but it is annoying.

shrimp in
Put the shrimp in. Clearly a shrimp is bite sized to me. Let it cook for five more minutes.

bringing the sour cream up to temperature
Grab some of the hot soup and stir it into the sour cream. This will bring the sour cream to a warmer temperature otherwise if you just dumped it in cold you might get some gross curdling action and nobody wants that.

Shrimp Bisque
Stir that warm and cozy cream right back into the soup. Lots of cream in this recipe, luckily this is not a diet food blog!

Shrimp Bisque
You are ready to serve this great soup. I crumbled a few tortilla chips on top and added a spoonful of guacamole. This is the perfect soup for the upcoming fall weather most of you will be enjoying.




5 comments:

  1. Love shrimp, love soup, not so crazy about cumin but for this soup, I could take it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm, my belly practically got warmer just looking at your pictures. i love the shrimp, this looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this for a dinner party and my guests loved it.

    The first time i tried (practice session), i found that it wasn't thick and flavorful enough. So i used the shells of the prawns (got frozen prawns with shells)cooked them in water to make the broth and used that instead of water to add to the soup. Then took the shells out, roasted it in the oven till cripsy and crushed it to powder and added it to the herbs to flavor it. Afterall.. you need shells in a bisque! :)

    ReplyDelete