Thursday, May 7, 2009

Rachael Ray's Bison and Portobello Mushroom Minestroganoff

I have been enjoying some hearty dishes before it gets too hot here in Arizona. This soup comes from the Rachael Ray magazine.




I knew that I could get either coworkers or my brother to eat some of this so I made the full recipe. Plus it just looked good so I knew I wouldn't mind eating leftovers.




You need some olive oil, pasta, crushed tomato, shallots or onions, broth, portobello mushrooms, bison or ground beef and carrots. You will also need some sour cream for the finished product.

Lets get cooking!




Chop up the onion and the carrots.




Clean the underside of the mushrooms.




Chop them up, they will reduce in size as they cook so don't cut them too small.




I used ground bison instead of beef because I love it and because it has a lot less fat than ground beef.




Heat some oil in a dutch oven and toss in the carrots and onion. Let them cook for about 8 minutes or until softened.




Add in the mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes, stirring every once in a while.




Get the veggies out of the pan for now.




Stir in the beef or bison and give that some time on the fire. Let that cook for about 3-5 minutes until browned and season with salt and pepper.




Add in the tomatoes, broth and the cooked veggies. Stir in the pasta and bring it to a boil.




Lower the heat to medium and cover it up. Let it simmer for about 10-15 minutes.




Grab your sour cream from the fridge when you are ready to serve.




Get the soup in the bowl and top it with a dollop of sour cream. This was delicious and I would definitely like to try some other variations with turkey burger and other types of mushrooms. I hope you all have a great weekend and enjoy the spring weather!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, this sounds really good.....think I will make it next week when it's going to be rainy AGAIN!! ( I live in Wa state!)
    Thanks, and have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks good but a little wierd... not sure I would like the consistency of big chunks of portobello... guess I should give it a try and see...

    ReplyDelete
  3. yuuuuuum. I got a big bison bone a couple of days ago. Had no idea there was less fat than beef. Sounds good to me!

    xo
    SB

    ReplyDelete