Sometimes I like to go meat free for dinner and this recipe is a quick and easy vegetarian choice. It is from All Recipes.com. The recipe below makes 2 side dish servings or 1 meal.
* 1/2 pound fresh broccoli, cut into bite size pieces
* 1 tablespoon and 2-1/4 teaspoons butter
* 1 teaspoon brown sugar
* 1 tablespoon soy sauce
* 3/4 teaspoon white vinegar
* 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 2/3 clove garlic, minced
* 1 tablespoon and 2-1/4 teaspoons chopped salted cashews
1. Place the broccoli into a large pot with about 1 inch of water in the bottom. Bring to a boil, and cook for 7 minutes, or until tender but still crisp. Drain, and arrange broccoli on a serving platter.
2. While the broccoli is cooking, melt the butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Mix in the brown sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, pepper and garlic. Bring to a boil, then remove from the heat. Mix in the cashews, and pour the sauce over the broccoli. Serve immediately.
Lets gather our ingredients. You will need some cashews or almonds, you could even use peanuts if you prefer. Soy sauce, white wine vinegar, brown sugar, butter, garlic, pepper and some broccoli. I also made some rice ahead of time to serve this over, you could also serve it over noodles or polenta.
Chop up the broccoli.
Chop the garlic and nuts.
Combine the brown sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, pepper and garlic.
The recipe calls to steam the broccoli on the stove with some water, I am using a steam bag instead.
While your broccoli steams, melt the butter in a pan over medium heat.
Stir in the soy sauce mixture and bring to a boil.
Remove the sauce from the heat and stir in the nuts, drain your broccoli and you are ready to eat!
The sauce and almond combo over the broccoli was amazing. This is a filling meal that is so tasty I doubt you will miss the meat. Give it a try this weekend while you enjoy the spring weather. Thanks again for all the comments and emails, I appreciate them and I appreciate you taking the time out of your day to read my blog.