Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Vegetarian Taco Ramekins aka Tacos in a bowl!

Believe it or not the SO ate this meal with me. When I said Taco Ramekins, he said HUH? so I said, Tacos in a bowl. He reviewed the ingredient list and gave it his approval!


From Taste of Homes Cooking For 2 Magazine.


Ingredients, no dividing of the recipe needed!


Steps


Your ingredients. I chose to use Boca crumbles instead of beef. The SO will eat these as long as they are made with taco seasoning, so I used that instead of just chili powder.


They are quite great as a meat replacement for tacos and casseroles.


they brown up quickly. Then you just add the taco seasoning and some water and let it cook down until the liquid is absorbed.


While that cooks chop up your veggies.




Get some cold water for your dough.


Drop this into a bowl with the cold water and mix it up with your hands.


The dough comes together in no time.


keep an eye on your meat, or fake meat in my case.


Cut your dough in half. I ended up making more dough because my ramekins were slightly larger than what the recipe called for.


use your fingers to get the dough down in the ramekins.


get some chopped onion in a bowl for the topping


Add the sour cream and mayonnaise.




Add some cheese


and get it all mixed up!


start filling in your dough with the meat first


Then the tomatoes


then the topping mixture


finally the green pepper


stick them on a cookie sheet and bake them up!


The SO insisted I add some black olives to mine.


He added some to his also.


He also added his favorite thing in the world, La Victoria Hot Sauce. At any given time we have at least 3 bottles of this in the pantry and one in the fridge. He can't live without it!


That is his taco bowl finished as he wanted it.

This recipe is very filling and very good. I would recommend you try the Boca crumbles if you haven't already.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, does that recipe bring back memories. My mom used to make something similar when I was in elementary school - except she used real beef and instead of individual ramekins, baked it in a big caserole dish. She used to make it once a week until we got sick of it, and then never made it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. did you get that big thing of taco seasoning at costco? I need one of those. This looked really good and something I will have to try. I am still on the hunt for that veggie mayo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit I have never tried the "fake" meat. I don't know why, but it just seems weird. I've never quite accepted ground turkey either though. And I'm on Weight Watcher's so I really should. I also noticed you had a vegetarian type of mayo too. I have never seen that before. Anyway, the recipe looked REALLY good. I may have to give some of those crumbles a try...

    ReplyDelete
  4. My god, those look incredible. I have to try the Boca crumblies sometime.

    Had to LOL at Tom's version of "some" olives. Well done -- this looks like a fun one to try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here we don't have that "fake meat" but we have "soy beef" maybe my mom could try with it!
    Thanks!
    Veronica

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is delicious looking. A wonderful taco recipe. Blessings my dear. Catherine xoxo

    ReplyDelete