Saturday, June 20, 2009

Rachael Ray's Lasagna Soup

Since I cook for myself, making a whole pan of lasagna seems pretty ridiculous. I was very excited when I found this recipe for Lasagna Soup. The following recipe is for four servings but I cut it in half.

Ingredients

* 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
* 1 lb ground beef
* 1 large onion, finely chopped
* 2 carrots, peeled and grated
* 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
* 1 (32 ounce) box chicken stock
* 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
* 1/2 lb lasagna noodle, broken
* 1 cup basil leaves, torn (I had to use dried)
* 1 cup ricotta cheese
* parmesan cheese


Directions
1. In a soup pot, heat oil over med high heat.
2. Add the beef, season with salt and pepper and cook until browned, 3 to 4 minutes.
3. Stir in the onion, carrots and garlic and cook until softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
4. Stir in 2 cups water, the chicken broth and tomatoes; and dried seasonings -- if using fresh add later, cover and bring to a boil.
5. Add the pasta and cook until al dente, about 15 minutes.
6. Top with ricotta and parmesan and serve.




Lets gather up our ingredients. You will need some ground beef, onion, garlic, carrot, chicken broth, tomatoes, ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, basil and some lasagna noodles.




Chop up the carrots, onion and garlic.




Break the noodles up, I used too many but it still ended up DELICIOUS.




Brown up the ground beef with some salt and pepper for 3-4 minutes.




Add in the chopped veggies and let them cook for 5-7 minutes.




While those cook, measure out your liquids.




Add them into the pot and give it a stir.




Pop the lid on and bring it to a boil.




Add in the noodles and give it a stir, let this cook for about 15-20 minutes until the pasta is cooked.




While that cooks grab your cheese and try not to eat spoonfuls of ricotta.




give the soup one final stir and add in your fresh herbs. You are now ready to eat!




Top with the cheeses and you are ready to enjoy this delicious variation on traditional lasagna.

9 comments:

  1. Hi, that looks sooo yummieeee...

    Peace,
    claudette

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm having trouble imagining a reason I shouldn't eat spoonfuls of ricotta! That's always been part of every recipe I've ever made! :-P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eating spoonfuls of ricotta is mandatory! This soup looks just yum.

    hugs-
    P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mom definitely needs to try this!

    Love ya lots,
    Maggie and Mitch

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a great idea... I would never make a whole lasagna for myself either...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks very good. I am going to have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bought all the ingredients today and I'm cooking this tomorrow--I 'll let you know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made with ground turkey and gluten free pasta. Is so good with crusty French bread I made for the others and I had to have some to dip even though it was not gluten free. Should reheat pretty well as long as the noodles dont get over cooked.

    ReplyDelete